Reply
Contributor
PSouz
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-25-2013
0

new goal card

Now that I got approved for the csp I need a new goal card, something to look forward to, in a year or 2

I'm already pretty set on PenFed Platinum Rewards for the 5% back on gas, but that card doesn't have a bonus, so when I get it I could afford to get another card that has a nice bonus, with a minimum spending amount

Based on the cards in my sig what do you guys think?
I don't travel too much, but do want to go away in 2014, and could use my CSP bonus for the flight so maybe my goal card should get me some hotel night/s or vice versa

I just want a card with the first years AF waived and the option to PC to a non AF card if it does have a AF

I plan on downgrading my CSP 23 months from now







Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Contributor
PSouz
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-25-2013
0

Re: new goal card

Bump







Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Established Contributor
Cdnewmanpac
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎01-16-2012
0

Re: new goal card

It is possible nobody is responding because you shouldn't be picking "goal" cards at this point. You should use the cards you have for a while, then figure out if there is something they are not providing that would be useful to you. As it stands, you have all rewards cards. You don't have any perks cards (like cards with lounge access, elite status, free bags, etc), which may not matter if you don't travel enough to justify the fees. You don't have a low interest non-rewards card. That only matters if you have the potential for emergencies to crop up that might require you to carry a balance for a while, or you are interested in using credit to alter your spending flexibility. But you aren't going to know what you need until you use what you have for a while. Most of these cards will provide a year end summary. That will break down your spending by category, help you determine your monthly spend and help identify if you are carrying balances. My advice, which I know on this forum will be ignored, is to do nothing for a year, then analyze your card use, then post the question.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Contributor
PSouz
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-25-2013
0

Re: new goal card

Thanks for the response! I do plan on doing nothing for a year, I leave next month for basic training for the Air National Guard and then go to text school and don't get home until February, considering I won't have any expenses or ways to meet minimum spending requirements, it will make gardening much easier, I don't need traveling perks like free bags and lounge access because of my military id getting me that, I do agree I should wait and see what I need next year, but I just wanted to see what people had to say, maybe someone would tell me about some great card that would be great for some free nights at a hotel to compliment my CSP for a cheap vacation next summer, just posted to see what people had for ideas and if they told me something i knew I wanted it would be nice to have that card as my goal card for next year, even if its not particularly hard to get







Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Valued Contributor
thom02099
Posts: 1,348
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: new goal card


PSouz wrote:
Thanks for the response! I do plan on doing nothing for a year, I leave next month for basic training for the Air National Guard and then go to text school and don't get home until February, considering I won't have any expenses or ways to meet minimum spending requirements, it will make gardening much easier, I don't need traveling perks like free bags and lounge access because of my military id getting me that, I do agree I should wait and see what I need next year, but I just wanted to see what people had to say, maybe someone would tell me about some great card that would be great for some free nights at a hotel to compliment my CSP for a cheap vacation next summer, just posted to see what people had for ideas and if they told me something i knew I wanted it would be nice to have that card as my goal card for next year, even if its not particularly hard to get

You've got a really good collection of cards.  Based on your clarification above, in addition to gardening (forced or otherwise!), waiting to see what card issuers may come up with over the next year may be good for your goals for the future.  For example, with AMEX discontinuing the Zync and Clear, there could be valid speculation that AMEX may come up with other companion card(s) to their current stable of cards.  Other issuers may do the same.  Right now the selection of cards that most people pursue (whether on a forum or not), has been getting a bit stale, and there's always the chance of something new coming down the pike.  You're in a good position to set a goal next year, when the selection of cards may change. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 799 EQ = 812 TU = 811 - 11/2014
Contributor
PSouz
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-25-2013
0

Re: new goal card


thom02099 wrote:

You've got a really good collection of cards.  Based on your clarification above, in addition to gardening (forced or otherwise!), waiting to see what card issuers may come up with over the next year may be good for your goals for the future.  For example, with AMEX discontinuing the Zync and Clear, there could be valid speculation that AMEX may come up with other companion card(s) to their current stable of cards.  Other issuers may do the same.  Right now the selection of cards that most people pursue (whether on a forum or not), has been getting a bit stale, and there's always the chance of something new coming down the pike.  You're in a good position to set a goal next year, when the selection of cards may change. 


Thanks, I do agree with you, I will have to obviously see what cards/bonuses are out next year 








Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Super Contributor
enharu
Posts: 7,132
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: new goal card

you have a very nice array of cards as it is.

Maybe you can add a Thank You Premier if you don't mind the AF. Or the Barclays Arrival World MC for flat 2%. But it's not really necessary.

You can check out bonuses at that time, and also which hotels / flight you will be flying and staying at, and get 1 of their cards.

 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Contributor
PSouz
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-25-2013
0

Re: new goal card


enharu wrote:

you have a very nice array of cards as it is.

Maybe you can add a Thank You Premier if you don't mind the AF. Or the Barclays Arrival World MC for flat 2%. But it's not really necessary.

You can check out bonuses at that time, and also which hotels / flight you will be flying and staying at, and get 1 of their cards.

 


both of those cards look great, I like that both of there annual fees are waived for the first year, and I am assuming they can both be downgraded fairly easy?

Maybe I will get those 2 and the PenFed for gas, assuming I have a way to meet the minimum requirements, might have to limit it to one bonus card. I'll just have to look at what cards are having the best and most useable bonuses for me when it comes to apply 

 

Thanks for the info, those cards look nice, much better than regular cash back cards with 100 dollar sign up bonuses 

 

 








Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Blogger
HiLine
Posts: 3,162
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: new goal card

If you're looking for a hotel card with a good sign-up bonus, take a look at the Chase Marriott, Chase Hyatt, Chase Priority Club, US Bank Club Carlson, and Amex SPG. :smileywink:

Valued Contributor
bs6054
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: new goal card


PSouz wrote:

enharu wrote:

you have a very nice array of cards as it is.

Maybe you can add a Thank You Premier if you don't mind the AF. Or the Barclays Arrival World MC for flat 2%. But it's not really necessary.

You can check out bonuses at that time, and also which hotels / flight you will be flying and staying at, and get 1 of their cards.

 


both of those cards look great, I like that both of there annual fees are waived for the first year, and I am assuming they can both be downgraded fairly easy?

Maybe I will get those 2 and the PenFed for gas, assuming I have a way to meet the minimum requirements, might have to limit it to one bonus card. I'll just have to look at what cards are having the best and most useable bonuses for me when it comes to apply 

 

Thanks for the info, those cards look nice, much better than regular cash back cards with 100 dollar sign up bonuses 

 

 


And for cards to keep, without good signup bonuses, Priceline Visa (2% off everything, no AF, $50 signup) or Fidelity Amex, (2% off everything, no AF, no bonus) as a post AF version of the Barclays card.   And Citi Forward if you can get it, someone said that you can still apply over the phone.

 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}