Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to the credit card world

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: new to the credit card world

Disagree with op apping for Amex bce/bcp and chase right now. Even if approved, it will retard his credit file. Better plan is to app in jan for bce/bcp for max backdating. Wait till 61 day cli. After new Amex cl hits credit report, then app for chase to hopefully get higher starting cl. Wouldn't be bad idea to get gemb backed card like Walmart right now though. I like gemb and Amex for their sp cli policy.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 21 of 70
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Okay I can go with backdating and waiting game plan.
My original objection came because I felt like op was being told to not even do the pre-qual because they are garbage... We can't debate it's reliability when everyone always is saying dont use and don't trust.
And I think we need to start separating out the banks that give real ones and suggestions and not confuse the difference.
And I have not applied for any because I have not been offered any!
But I help friends and know off that, not just my partner... Those are just the same first hand experience as if I did it since I was there.
Message 22 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

cck5 wrote:\\

sort of curious how long i should wait till applying for something better to use as my standard visa, as i think i can have something better than the cap one jounrey card. 

was thinking an AMEX BCE or chase freedom card

From a simple rewards perspective, the Journey is not all that bad.  While it doesn't have the 3/5% categories of those cards, it has a higher % on the non-category spend.

Not to say that you should get others, but there are many worse cards!

Message 23 of 70
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
Okay I can go with backdating and waiting game plan.
My original objection came because I felt like op was being told to not even do the pre-qual because they are garbage... We can't debate it's reliability when everyone always is saying dont use and don't trust.
And I think we need to start separating out the banks that give real ones and suggestions and not confuse the difference.
And I have not applied for any because I have not been offered any!
But I help friends and know off that, not just my partner... Those are just the same first hand experience as if I did it since I was there.

So your gambling with someone else's HP when you say go for it.......App NOW? LOL

So you have helped  hundreds of your friends with pre-approvals (no) ......because the exposure you have here  affects thousands on thousands

The vast majority here (MyFico) know not to trust the words in any form or fashion

pre-approval pre-selected pre-qualified because they mean nothing IMHO

.Lol agree to disagree

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 24 of 70
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@cck5 wrote:

well after some peeking around this site i was able to start my credit journey.

i was accepted for my first card 2 months ago, journey student card. since than ive used it everyday and PIF after every single purchase

two days ago after checking i had a credit score of over 700. i applied for an AMEX green and was accepted.

super excited and digging through the mail everyday to see if its come.

sort of curious how long i should wait till applying for something better to use as my standard visa, as i think i can have something better than the cap one jounrey card. 

was thinking an AMEX BCE or chase freedom card

advice on wait times etc for these other two cards i want in my wallet

Hello cck5!

Welcome to the Forums!

Typically, individuals with only 2 months credit history wouldn't qualify for any CCs or loans because a credit file to pull is not available.  It takes a good 6 months of history to generate a fico score.  That being said, you must have some history available to quantify a fico... me thinks it's in fact your sl's.  

If you are not trying for any big purchases in the near future ( 6 months to a year ) it'd actually be in your best interest to get some revolving (non-secured) CLs under your belt.  Doing it now will only strengthen your profile in the future.

You've done very well getting in with Amex for their backdating.  This open account will help you tremendously in the future.  As far as apping the BCE/BCP, I'd wait till after the first of the year and give it a go then.  No matter when in the future you desire a Amex.. it will be backdated to this year.  Well Done!

My advice:

App the Chase Freedom and Discover It and maybe a GE card like Walmart/JCPenney if you shop there.  These CC lenders are very forgiving of those just starting out.

Garden these cards and develop a good relationship with them.  The inqs won't hurt you very much starting out and in the long run, they will strenghten your profile for future apps that you may need by solidifiing your AAoA now.. early while you are still building a profile.

Good Luck with what every you decide.  Remember, everyone has to start out some where.  Don't be afraid to stick your foot out a little to build your profile for later.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 25 of 70
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With a thin file, the backdated Amex in Jan and apping for Chase would be a good idea. Like I said before, Discover has not been as picky on the rev cc history and if OP wants something now- I'd go with them.

In the long run, waiting a few more months couldn't hurt either.
Message 26 of 70
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Finally, these last 2 posts are what I agree with.
Myjoirney your twisting my posts if you got gambling on someone else's HP out of my suggestions to check pre-qual and rather there reliable because me personally have not applied but have seen multiple successful with others... I once again state it's not a matter of me not wanting to apply for something, it's I don't have offers... This post started as me suggesting to check the offers... You seem to be even against that so we don't need to even debate what to do if pre-qual. On one of these sites.
Message 27 of 70
supervelous
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

go to chase.com and run pre-qual and see if they offer you freedom... if they do, take it... otherwise wait little longer.

apply for the BCP now... if you get it great... if not, it's just a SP and give it 4-6 months on the new green and then apply again.

Want to thank you sir, bc you inadvertently helped me.  I have been rebuilding my credit, but had 27 lates on my reports, but most were 4-7 years ago.  However, I had low low limits and got turned down for other cards and CLI's recently.  I had just been denied a Cap 1 CLI request on a $300 card.   Had $300 Cap 1, $250 and $300 limit chase cards, $500 BOA....

Saw your advice above, ran pre-qual on Chase, Freedom popped up and got approved for $5,000.  Wouldn't have done it without seeing your post.  Was going to wait a couple months to app.   All I wanted was a no annual fee rewards card with a higher limit than what I had, would have been happy with 1-2K.  Cheers to you and the other helpful posters on this site.

Message 28 of 70
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
Finally, these last 2 posts are what I agree with.
Myjoirney your twisting my posts if you got gambling on someone else's HP out of my suggestions to check pre-qual and rather there reliable because me personally have not applied but have seen multiple successful with others... I once again state it's not a matter of me not wanting to apply for something, it's I don't have offers... This post started as me suggesting to check the offers... You seem to be even against that so we don't need to even debate what to do if pre-qual. On one of these sites.

Lets just agree to disagree done Smiley LOL

Becuase we can go around and around and get no where about different views

Fact I check the site too but only for amusement ...so your wrong there.....

i'm not wasting any HP's on them ever...me, myslef, I...nor will I be telling others to pull the trigger ever on them

what I do..do is make sure my CR's are good and seek the cards that fit my profile not what a computer says I'm pre-approved for and may not be true based on a SP by the computer.

If my CR's are in order I can get any card I want would you agree?

I'm sure you feel the same way about your CR's you can get any card you want as I'm sure you have stellar scores and credit probably better than mine.

IMHO and this is what I stated ......I don't advise anyone use them to app,,,, (anything other than amusement) ..........agreed my view

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 29 of 70
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Super congrats supervelous!!
Message 30 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.