Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

next month I can't pay credit cards due to legal fees what do I do

tag
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: next month I can't pay credit cards due to legal fees what do I do

Oh, as an afterthought, until your back on your feet, the kids need love, food and shelter.  They might want routine, or other things, but they really don't need it.  The fact that you rescued them is going to have to do.

You can get them clothes @ the Salvation Army / Goodwill for now, too.

Bare minimums.

Again, good luck.

-S

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 11 of 55
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Yes they have hit my CR god do i wish they hadn't yet

Message 12 of 55
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Also, similar to the pawn shop stuff, if you need some cash you can take your old clothes you dont wear anymore and sell them to a platos closet or something like that. If they're not being used you might as well get something for them.
Message 13 of 55
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I don't think attempting to get more credit is the answer to your very complex problem.  Trying to shift the debt to a different location still results in...debt.  Yes, you may postpone it, but it's still there.

Couple of suggestions;

- Perhaps consulting a fee only financial advisor would be appropriate, for a consultation of what steps to take to get beyond this situation.  They can perhaps give some advice based on experience with these types of scenarios.

- Are you elligible for ANY sort of assistance from your state or county?  Since you have taken in (presumably) juveniles, perhaps there are assistance avenues from your state or local Department of Human Services or Child Protection, since you took the kiddos in under what would certainly be considered adverse circumstances.  If you are or could be considered foster parents, there may be funding available to assist your financial situation.

- Try calling your credit card lenders and simply state to them what you've stated here.  Express your desire to pay you bills, remind them of your past history, and see if there isn ANYTHING they can do to assist in a good will gesture.  Perhaps some sort of payment forgiveness, or allowing you to pay less than the minimum until you get back on your feet. 

- Talk to a tax advisor.  There could be some immediate changes you could make to your tax withholdings that would allow you to have more cash in hand.  For example, if you were to claim 10 deductions for a few months, that would minimize your tax withholding and put more cash in pocket, allowing you to pay off either the legal fees or make payments toward debt.  Since you now have 2 new dependents, a tax advisor could give you some additional direction. 

I presume that you and/or your wife still have an income stream, just that it's having to have a major diversion because of the legal matters?  Do you foresee when you might be able to get back on track, given your current income without any outside assistance?  Perhaps putting together some plans, like a 2 month plan, a 3 month plan, etc, whereby you just provide the bare necessities and use the suggestions of others here, aside from more credit. I just don't think that's the answer for this situation.

Message 14 of 55
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Personal loan from your bank or credit union
Message 15 of 55
Smug
Established Contributor

I also think getting more credit might just snowball into a BK down the road, sell off anything you don't need now,and do the best you can you are doing a great thing.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 16 of 55
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Prosper or lending club for a personal loan. Only do it if you foresee getting back on track soon. More debt will just make things worse unless you have a plan.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 55
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

With both boys being teenager 14 and 15 i really do not see anyway to get this thing back on track. On top of that i have a 8 week old baby girl. . 

Message 18 of 55
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I would defihnitely see what assistance is out there.  Unless you are formally adopting them it is more of a foster situation.  Typically foster families get financial assistance for taking in the children.

I would definitely see what help is out there and while you are waiting on answers communicate with your creditors. 

On a non financial note what you are doing is admirable and God rewards those who help others.  Keep your head up!

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 19 of 55
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Shelters, drug abuse clinics, charities, support groups and churches would all be places I would contact and tell my story. "We have rescued two teens from a drug filled home. Over the last three weeks this has nearly bankrupted us. I have my own 8 week old baby also. Do you know anyone who may offer some temporary financial or other support?"

I'm certain many of your credit cards will offer deffered payment for a month or two if you just call up and ask. Be honest, tell your story.

It sounds like you have not even missed one payment yet. This is not the time to be focusing on bankruptcy as a debt solution.

Just saw the similar fostering support advice posted above. Yes! I'm sure many places can help in some way. Great idea
Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.