Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

next month I can't pay credit cards due to legal fees what do I do

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Re: next month I can't pay credit cards due to legal fees what do I do

@coterotie wrote:

This is not exactly correct.  You have 60 days to replace the money penalty free.  Also, their are numerous waivers built into the program that you could likely finagle your way into, such as power in danger of being turned off, avoid foreclosure, avoid eviction etc.  I have used them in the past and they are easy to get. 

i was not aware of the 60 day rule on hardships, but 401ks can vary on rules and how they are structured,i work for a small company and they have made it very hard to get money out of 401k early- no loans and i believe the only hardships they rec, are extrodanry medical expenses, higher edu costs, and purchase  primary home, and prob to avoid foreclosure or eviction,  when i took money out for college costs the taxes and penalty were withheld from the distibution, i think i had the option on the tax portion but def. not the penalty part.  either way the op should def look into and see what could be available and HR will let them know all the terms and conditions that go along with it.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 31 of 55
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@R3DLINE wrote:

I have a very temporary solution.... but please do it only once as to not make a bad habit.

Open a new 0% for 15 moths card.

Open a paypal acct for you and then one for your wife. 

Send a paymant from you to your wife for say 1000 dollars a whatever will get you by on minimums for two months.

Transfer the cash to your bank and take the two months to get youself sorted out .... all at a nice 0% interest rate. 

It will cost you a one time fee of 3% when you send the money though.... If you do it month after month you will eventually wind up in a heap so be Careful.

OP previously stated early on that they tried several BT apps but not approved.

Message 32 of 55
shanac
Frequent Contributor

OP, I don't have any new suggestions to contribute as it has been covered by the other posters.

I just want to say that I am touched by the efforts of those who rushed to provide you some very valuable feedback. I pray everything works out in your favor, as what you are doing for your family is incredibly selfless. Much success.

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 33 of 55
mauve
Valued Contributor

I just wanted to highlight this because I felt like it visually got buried in this post

@coterotie wrote:

Finally, stop paying cash for the attorney's bills.  Most will allow you to be billed, most allow the use of credit cards. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 55
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Called ccc and gave them a true estimate of how long it was going to take to get back on my feet they wanted no part of it bankruptcy here I come

Message 35 of 55
jugstore
Valued Member

Are you going to try any of the good suggestions offered in this thread?

Do you have a budget?

Did you sit down with your wife and write out a financial plan and conclude that you could do this?

Can you afford these kids?

I don't question your intentions and don't mean to sound crass, but it seems your troubles might be beyond the scope of a credit card forum.  Your inability to pay your credit cards next month might be a symptom of a bigger problem.

That being said, this is a  wonderful and supportive group of people that are willing to help where they have experience to share.  

- If you bought anything for the kids at a retail establishment return it now and get your money back.  Check craigslist/thrift stores/charities/churches for basic needs.

- sell stuff you don't need.

- increase income (second job, overtime, advertise odd jobs on craigslist if you have experience in a particular field).

- decrease expenses - get a budget and work the budget.   It sounds like lifestyle changes are coming.

- call your CCCs and ask what they can give you.  You said you gave them a "true estimate."  Was it realistic?  Ask what they can do for you as a customer.

- Start reading the rebuilding section.  Lots of people have been where you are just maybe not for the exact same reasons.

Along with the other posters here and the rest of the myfico family, I hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gardening since 5-2014
Message 36 of 55
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Don't be giving up now. It is too early to be thinking bankruptcy. While I think your gesture of kindness is wonderful, I think you took upon a problem that is beyond your means. Kids need food, love, and a roof over their heads. You have essentially committed yourself to raising two teens,  putting them through college, etc..while taking care of your own family. Can you handle this?

Do you belong to a church that you can reach out to? People in numbers work miracles.

Also some public schools have access to resources. My son had a friend who's legal guardian committed suicide. The school counselor was able to get help from the community that provided him about $600 a month, as well as gift cards to buy clothes and other necessities.

Contact your creditors. If all they can do is give you two months- take it. By yourself time.

Make at least the min payments- rob Peter to pay Paul. If your minimum is $50 and your spending $50 on gas, pay the card and immediately use it. Buy yourself time to figure things out.

Sell things, get a second job, etc. Sorry your going through this, but don't throw in the towel yet.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 37 of 55
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jugstore

Seems as though this is not a matter of whether he can afford the kids.... As the alternative is to have them bounce around in foster care. Whether he can afford them are not, they are here.
I agree with many of the suggestions and wish only the best for the OP... As far as putting the kids through college, there are many grant programs available to help these children when the time comes. Work with the school counselors to fill out the Fafsa. I am proof that one does not need family money to get a college education.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 38 of 55
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@shanac wrote:
OP, I don't have any new suggestions to contribute as it has been covered by the other posters.

I just want to say that I am touched by the efforts of those who rushed to provide you some very valuable feedback. I pray everything works out in your favor, as what you are doing for your family is incredibly selfless. Much success.

Totally agree!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 39 of 55
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to update everybody I talk to HR today. and I'm looking at the process of how to go about getting a short term loan off my 401 K I want to thank everybody for the advice. me and my wife are drastically trying every measure that you guys suggest.
Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.