Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nfcu membership in?

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

nfcu membership in?

does anyone know if your connection has to be alive? after seeing the lines they offer its very tempting, but my only connection to the miltary was my grandfather who was in the navy for 20+ yrs but is deceased.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: nfcu membership in?

@phillyguy12 wrote:

does anyone know if your connection has to be alive? after seeing the lines they offer its very tempting, but my only connection to the miltary was my grandfather who was in the navy for 20+ yrs but is deceased.

No they don't have to be alive.  He had to have retired from the Navy which i assumed he did.  You're going to need his SSN and then call NFCU to make sure you go thru the right steps.  It's better for them to approve your membership upfront so that there isn't any problems later on.

Message 2 of 13
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

kool thanks for info yes he did retire from the navy

Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@phillyguy12 wrote:

kool thanks for info yes he did retire from the navy

Good luck.  Great CU to join

Message 4 of 13
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

May have to get parent to join then you. I can't recall if grandparents are an option and I am on a mobile so don't want to check Smiley Tongue

Someone can verify or deny.

Good luck, great CU I use them for everything down to my mortgage!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 13
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

I'm pretty sure parents would have to join first but there is always someone who squeaks through membership..and later feels they have been wronged.  Honestly OP, if I were you I'd just call member services and get the information for peace of mind.  GL.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 6 of 13
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

i will call the site does list grandparent so its worth a shot, was just curious if anyone had any luck, i know its just a call but if im going to sit on hold and get passed around i wanted just to be told no, i rather not waste the time if its a known def no go.

Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 7 of 13
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

My father passed away ten years prior to me applying for membership. I was instantly approved for membership and a flagship visa over the phone. Funny thing is they never asked for his service I number or anything. I still have all his info in a safe should they ask.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheGardner wrote:
May have to get parent to join then you. I can't recall if grandparents are an option and I am on a mobile so don't want to check Smiley Tongue

Someone can verify or deny.

Good luck, great CU I use them for everything down to my mortgage!

Grandparents are definitely an option

image.jpg

Message 9 of 13
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Thanks for clearing that up, I couldn't recall

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.