Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nfcu questions.

tag
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

nfcu questions.

What credit score did you have when you applied for their cc? Did you get approved? If so with what limit?
On my phone apologies for the errors.

Starting Score: 501 EX FAKO
Current Score: 745TU Fico
Current Score:714EQ Fico
Current Score: 742 fico

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

Re: nfcu questions.

Unsecured card, not the secured one. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 28
dodgeball
Established Contributor

My eq when I got approved was 632 credit limit 5k just got a CLI of 10k when I hit 688. Hope that helps

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@pineappledaydreams wrote:
What credit score did you have when you applied for their cc? Did you get approved? If so with what limit?

Navy goes by a lot more than your FICO when determining approval and your CL. I read a gazillion posts before and after I apped, and there is really no rhyme or reason to it. They admittedly have their own algorithm that they use. I had a FICO in the high 600s and expected a healthy CL when I apped. I had only one baddies that was a few months from dropping off - and it was only around $200. I was shocked when I only got $2k - and it was several days later - and I had to physically go to a branch to confirm my identity. (This was months after joining, too.) 

i did get 2 CLIs - at 6 mos and just after 1 yr. first CLI was a hp. 2nd was soft, it appears so far. 

That said, they have been much more generous than the local cu that I joined. Even if you start with a lower CL, it will grow with time. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 28
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

Both your comments are actually very helpful. 2k limit is rather high compared to my past cc's. id be happy with it especially if it grows ill apply sometime in the next month and ill let you know guys. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 28
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@pineappledaydreams wrote:

Navy goes by a lot more than your FICO when determining approval and your CL. I read a gazillion posts before and after I apped, and there is really no rhyme or reason to it. They admittedly have their own algorithm that they use. I had a FICO in the high 600s and expected a healthy CL when I apped. I had only one baddies that was a few months from dropping off - and it was only around $200. I was shocked when I only got $2k - and it was several days later - and I had to physically go to a branch to confirm my identity. (This was months after joining, too.) 

i did get 2 CLIs - at 6 mos and just after 1 yr. first CLI was a hp. 2nd was soft, it appears so far. 

That said, they have been much more generous than the local cu that I joined. Even if you start with a lower CL, it will grow with time. 

Yes I was just approved as well with a $2K limit and 707 EQ that I think is rather low in comparison to many others here, but I know it will increase over time so I'm good with it.  Same here that on EQ as well I have some baddies that will all be off by February 2013 so I will give it like 6 months and see what cli I can get....hopefully it will be an sp but I have read that they are hp happy!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 28
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Me:

TU-670

EQ-629

Approved for $8k Visa Siggy cashRewards card

Wife:

Similar scores except EQ is about 10-15 points higher.

Approved for $10k Visa Siggy cashRewards card

Both of us were approved within a day or so after joining. Basically, as soon as we got our online access we app'd for the cards.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 7 of 28
Goal850
Regular Contributor

Tu 625 EQ 629 Visa Siggy cashRewards CL $7000 instantly approved in the branch on same day that I joined.
Message 8 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

These last 2 posts kind of prove my point. I had higher FICO, and only got $2k. Navy told me that they use an algorithm to be fair to all members. Smiley Frustrated didn't seem so fair when people with much lower FICOs than I had were getting such higher CLs. That does seem to be the rule of thumb with them, but you can never be sure until you app.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 28
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

These last 2 posts kind of prove my point. I had higher FICO, and only got $2k. Navy told me that they use an algorithm to be fair to all members. Smiley Frustrated didn't seem so fair when people with much lower FICOs than I had were getting such higher CLs. That does seem to be the rule of thumb with them, but you can never be sure until you app.

Yea it does suck but at least we're in the door!  I'll wait a few months and request a cli and see what happens.  What is your limit now and how long have you had the card, and which card?  Do you use thier checking and savings account?  Was thinking about using them but I haven't heard anything but about their cc's.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.