Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no frills card

tag
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

no frills card

I am on the hunt for a regular credit cad with no AF. I am not a reward or points person. My scores are listed below. Looking for a line around 3- 4k.  Where should I look?

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: no frills card

Barclays Ring card could work for you. It has a low APR just in case you ever had to carry a balance, along with no AF. Not sure if the scores you have will get you the credit line you want, others will chime in. 

Message 2 of 18
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Maybe Citi Simplicity or Chase Slate.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 3 of 18
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@bbb3601 wrote:

I am on the hunt for a regular credit cad with no AF. I am not a reward or points person. My scores are listed below. Looking for a line around 3- 4k.  Where should I look?

Any of the Banks and CU's have plain jane cards. It is more a matter of preference for who you would like to do business with.

While your scores are not bad there are other things that are considered when applying for a credit card so YMMV on approvals.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am with JM-AM on this.  If you do your banking with a credit union, they almost always have the lowest APR, no AF, but also no perks.  If you are not a member of a local credit union, then check some online ones.  USAA, PenFed, NFCU all come to mind.  I do all my business with a credit union that has one branch and only serves government employees that work in a single county.  My visa with them is at 9.9% APR and has been there ever since I had the card.

Now if you do business with a  commercial bank, talk to your local branch.  Tell them what you want and see what offers they have.  Your best bet (in general) is going to be the bank you keep your money in.

Message 5 of 18
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

will do!

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 6 of 18
SanityKills
New Contributor

Barclaycard Ring or Amex CLEAR. Not sure about the score though.

CreditKarma TU: 680 | Credit.com EX: 668 | Equifax EQ: 671 | Credit Sesame Simulated FICO: 736
Citi Platinum Select: ($6900), Chase Freedom ($3500), Amex BCE ($5000), Amex CLEAR ($6000), Barclaycard Ring ($2800), Barclay Rewards MC ($2500), CareCredit ($4100), Kohls ($1000) | UTL: 3.14%
Message 7 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Talk to local credit union on getting a credit card. That is about as easy and no frill you can get. With your score, it will be difficult to get cards like Citi Simplicity or AMEX Clear in the first place.

Message 8 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

IMO Capital One Platinum Prestige if you can qualify for it. Good APR, no AF, fairly high CL, 15 month intro 00.00% APR, etc 

Message 9 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Not sure of point of this thread. Lots of rewards cards with no af. Why not get points/cash back if no cost? If op said hey I keep balances here and there so I want lowest apr and don't care about points, that makes more sense. With card competition these days, you can get almost everything these days. For example, the sign visa I have with my local cu has basically no fees (no af, no bt fee, no ft fee, no ca fee), 7.25% apr, and gives you 1 point which translates to 1% cash back in gift cards or travel discounts. As for the credit line part of op's question, that is more a function of their credit profile. Does op income support it and does he already have similar cl's? If so, he'll get that with almost any issuer. On the other hand, if not in line with current cl's, then he is going to have to look for generous lender which would either be a cu or major issuer who allows recon on approval as best chance to get cl if not given on approval
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.