Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no longer absolutely furious w amex

tag
Fenerbahce
Valued Member

Re: absolutely furious w amex

I had a similar sitoation happen to me...I had paid down some debt and cleaned up my report resulting in a jump from the 680's to the 740's in a month across the board on FICO scores. When I applied for the CLI on an existing Amex card, I hadn't read the thread on the 3x limits so I was denied due to the older soft pull report Amex was going by. At first I was mad but after understanding how Amex worked I decided to be patient and waited the 90 days after the denial. Last week those 90 days had past and they increased my Gold Delta Skymiles limit from 5,000 to 15,000 online. 

This forum helps educate us on almost all aspects of credit seeking and then some, once you learn how to play the game it becomes easier to get what we want.

Photobucket
Message 31 of 40
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
OP, maybe you might want edit your topic now that you were approved! 😀

Sometimes we can be heated in our opinions - just remember we are here to support each other.

I agree with 09Lexie.  Its too easy to get caught up into ego and take things too far.

Congrats to the OP

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 32 of 40
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Fenerbahce wrote:

I had a similar sitoation happen to me...I had paid down some debt and cleaned up my report resulting in a jump from the 680's to the 740's in a month across the board on FICO scores. When I applied for the CLI on an existing Amex card, I hadn't read the thread on the 3x limits so I was denied due to the older soft pull report Amex was going by. At first I was mad but after understanding how Amex worked I decided to be patient and waited the 90 days after the denial. Last week those 90 days had past and they increased my Gold Delta Skymiles limit from 5,000 to 15,000 online. 

This forum helps educate us on almost all aspects of credit seeking and then some, once you learn how to play the game it becomes easier to get what we want.

Looks like you need to update your signature Smiley Happy

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 33 of 40
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I believe aleicgrant had a legitimate reason to be upset about the denial. True, it may be a plus that they use a soft inquiry on file and will not do a hard inquiry when denied, this is evidence that it is not always a good thing. I am curious as to why they do not just initiate an inquiry when you apply. They could still keep it a soft for if you are denied and hard for approved. Every lender checks reports periodically, but none will base a new card approval on a stale credit report.

Message 34 of 40
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

@Alcibiades wrote:

Amex uses whatever soft pull they have on file within 30 days of an application. You can call and get a hard pull recon.

So does that mean that if (at the time of a cli request) they hadn't done a sp within the past 30 days, that they would initiate a new sp for the request?

Message 35 of 40
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@aleicgrant wrote:
Got my bce cli decline letter today. Reason was balances to too high. Well I paid off 85% of my debt..the kicker is the soft pull was done on March 23.... not the day of the request. Whats worse the guy ai am speaking with is a total a hole. What happened to amex world class service. He wants me to send in a full copy of my report. **bleep** would amex use.a report almost 30 days old. Absolutely sick of this amex bs
I read through all the posts and there was quite a rukus on this one, huh...lol?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 36 of 40
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 37 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I believe aleicgrant had a legitimate reason to be upset about the denial. True, it may be a plus that they use a soft inquiry on file and will not do a hard inquiry when denied, this is evidence that it is not always a good thing. I am curious as to why they do not just initiate an inquiry when you apply. They could still keep it a soft for if you are denied and hard for approved. Every lender checks reports periodically, but none will base a new card approval on a stale credit report.

Potential cost, possible historical, definitely higher priority reasons.

It costs money every time they pull from a CRA, though admittedly it's a bit absurd since Amex is so SP-happy compared to the rest of the industry anyway.

Historically this is probably the way they set it up eons ago back at the dawn of the CRA's; technology and the supporting infrastructure have improved by a tremendous amount over the past few decades, but it's sometimes incredibly difficult to rip out specific components to the applications.

When it comes to spending Amex development time, they're far more likely to update their website, or put new features into their Mobile app (now improved with some new fangled things in version 4.0!); this is a minor issue from an end-user perspective, other than here and a few other websites Amex's CLI / SP policy is unknown, and honestly as a population we simply don't rate compared to the rest of the customer base.

This may be an easy change, or it may be an incredibly complex one depending on how their origination systems are written; however, what can be certain is this is a core  backend component of their application structure, and they're not going to go running to "fix" it based on our complaints alone especially with the real or certainly perceived risk of changing a core backend system, which is probably integrated into the origination system, and that's not something a financial institution changes lightly.

Now if the OP and many others are having this happen to them, and calling in and spending CSR and Underwriter time (quantifiable cost, they could be helping other customers) by some noticiable amount, that's the sort of thing that would get noticed and potentialy acted upon.

        
Message 38 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: no longer absolutely furious w amex

LMAO @ the thread title change!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 39 of 40
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

+1

Not to fan the flames, but the attitude that businesses have engrained in American Society "the customer is always right, ESPECIALLY if they're wrong" is very irksome.

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.