Did you mean: 

not caring

tag
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: not caring

@takeshi74 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:
Sign up rewards really don't interest me, it's just a marketing gimmick to get sheep to spend money they don't have.

If one is spending money that one doesn't have then it's the person, not the bonus that's the issue.  I've never spent anything aside from my normal spend within budget to meet my signup bonuses.  Don't just assume that your behavior or your situation are universal, regardless of topic.  Income, budgets and spend vary.

I agree, but the fact is many(not all)people, especially people who frequent this forum cannot, and do not act responsibly. It's ultimately there choice, personal responsibility is important.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 21 of 27
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:
Sign up rewards really don't interest me, it's just a marketing gimmick to get sheep to spend money they don't have.

If one is spending money that one doesn't have then it's the person, not the bonus that's the issue.  I've never spent anything aside from my normal spend within budget to meet my signup bonuses.  Don't just assume that your behavior or your situation are universal, regardless of topic.  Income, budgets and spend vary.

I agree, but the fact is many(not all)people, especially people who frequent this forum cannot, and do not act responsibly. It's ultimately there choice, personal responsibility is important.

This forum can be a double edged sword LOL, THE GARDEN is awesome for chilling from apping and is a great service. On the flip side I have seen MANY "flavors of the month CC" posts - example the "duck card" HOW many NEVER even knew of this card and then the flurry of apps for it, because they learned of it here? This month looks like Merrill + and Sallie Mae....But again this is going to happen because everyone's situation is different, are either bad? NO but as was mentioned above it is down to each individual to assess there situation and act accordingly....

Message 22 of 27
blondy250
Established Contributor

I see it the same way

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 23 of 27
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I find it so ironic how some can pass judgement on others as irresponsible with credit, when they themselves have either had or still have multiple credit cards themselves and established histories. When your oldest account is > 10 years, it is likely that you are at an age where you have all the credit (i.e., car/mortgage/credit cards) you really need. 

A lot of us have limited histories and/or just bouncing back from adverse credit problems are just starting to build our portfolios. There are also some that see the advantage in CCs as a means of free or basically free travel. I know these perks are biased against certain income levels, but for a kitchen remodel we would have paid cash for anyway, DH and I have enough AA miles for 4 international business class tickets, and hotel stays with Hilton & Marriott through their cards. We also pay our credit card bills in full, every month. Cards are not irresponsible. People are irresponsible. 

Message 24 of 27
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:
So back then I use to be credit card crazy and knew lots of info about different credit cards, etc. Now I don't even care at all. Gardening is not a problem because applying no longer appeals to me.

It's a good feeling not to be crazed by temptation!  The place where I'm at now, I love.  My credit is excellent and I have the rewards cards I want.  If I was a bigger spender I could have more of a use for bigger cards but what I have works for me.  I even closed the very first card I got (Khols) and I'm going to close J Crew.  I don't need them, don't use them and it won't hurt my UT.  It felt good to close a card and not care!

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 25 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

I find it so ironic how some can pass judgement on others as irresponsible with credit, when they themselves have either had or still have multiple credit cards themselves and established histories. When your oldest account is > 10 years, it is likely that you are at an age where you have all the credit (i.e., car/mortgage/credit cards) you really need. 

A lot of us have limited histories and/or just bouncing back from adverse credit problems are just starting to build our portfolios. There are also some that see the advantage in CCs as a means of free or basically free travel. I know these perks are biased against certain income levels, but for a kitchen remodel we would have paid cash for anyway, DH and I have enough AA miles for 4 international business class tickets, and hotel stays with Hilton & Marriott through their cards. We also pay our credit card bills in full, every month. Cards are not irresponsible. People are irresponsible. 

Yes, people can be irresponsible, but the forum can also help by suggesting, in a non-judgemental way (ha!), that certain approaches may not be ideal.  For example, one common question is "Which credit card can I get with the highest limit?"   Now there may be times when that is a good criterion, but it often isn't, and the user would be better off, in the long and short-term, with a lower CL card that matched their goals better.  The forum has got quicker to jump on individuals who are repeatedly applying and failing to get any cards (telling them to garden) but, IMO, things like high CL and 3x CLI are given too much attention as things to strive for

Message 26 of 27
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

+1

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.