Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not working Amex offer - fishing scam ?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

not working Amex offer - fishing scam ?

I just got an email with a nice promo offer on my BCE for 6,99% APR for 12 months which I wanted to accept

AmexPromoFico.png

While normallly I would not simply click on a link and enter my login info, this offer got me to continue and here is what I get with account login or reservation code Smiley Sad

AmexPromo.png

Truly hope it is not a phishing scam...  I do not understand that lenders send email offers like "phishing scams" and expect customers to click further and enter account login info.  Smiley Mad   They should make offers available from account interface and not with these email links.  Anybody else has received this offer and continued clicking on the link ? If yes did it work ?

edit: phishing  Smiley Happy not fishing..ha ha

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: not working Amex offer - fishing scam ?

- check the header of the email. see if it's coming from a legit amex email address. paste here for further scrutiny.
- chat with amex and find out if the offer is really available on your account.

btw, it's not fishing, it's phishing! =D

Message 2 of 21
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

What is the url in the browser? You can also click and save link in email, copy into notes, and can tell if scam.

However, it looks legit.

I already have BCP at 10.49%, they just lowered simplycash to 12.49%. Smiley Wink. So, probably no lower rate email for moi.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 21
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I also set up my account emails plain text. Yes, boring. I also do most emails via iPad, and do not display images.
Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 21
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

This is a legit offer...others have gotten this offer via email. Keep in mind , if you accept this offer,

you will not be able to get your regular apr reduced until the promo is up.

i probably will never get this offer as my BCE APR is 6.74%. This is My rate and not a promo , 

Enjoy your promo if you decide to accept it. 

Message 5 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

- check the header of the email. see if it's coming from a legit amex email address. paste here for further scrutiny.
- chat with amex and find out if the offer is really available on your account.

btw, it's not fishing, it's phishing! =D

American Express <americanexpress@member.americanexpress.com>

Thanks for the phishing..lol... email address looks legit to me but chat has no clue and cannot see offers or RSVN codes or fix wrong RSVN codes but they gave me a phone number to call.  Since it is not a good idea to carry balances on Amex I am not sure if I will call and try to get that offer added on BCE.  I would have done if it could have been added easily .  I did send the offer to spoof@americanexpress.com with the comment that it would be nice to place offers on the account directly instead of asking customers to click on links with the risk of fishing scams.   Hopefully it gets them to think about and maybe send email in the future with  "there is an offer on your account - please login" or something along these lines instead of a silly email link to add an offer that does not even work.

Message 6 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
What is the url in the browser? You can also click and save link in email, copy into notes, and can tell if scam.

However, it looks legit.

I already have BCP at 10.49%, they just lowered simplycash to 12.49%. Smiley Wink. So, probably no lower rate email for moi.

My BCE is also on 10,49% and I got the offer on that account Smiley Happy  .. maybe this is the reason it will not work ?

Message 7 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

This is a legit offer...others have gotten this offer via email. Keep in mind , if you accept this offer,

i probably will never get this offer as my BCE APR is 6.74%. This is My rate and not a promo , 

oh wow....that is cool.. such an APR on a rewards card Smiley Happy ... mine is 10.49% and I believe will not get any lower anytime soon so the promo would not block anything during these next 12 months... I think I will call and have them add it and when it expires might give me a nice excuse to lower standard APR again Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 21
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

oh wow....that is cool.. such an APR on a rewards card Smiley Happy ... mine is 10.49% and I believe will not get any lower anytime soon so the promo would not block anything during these next 12 months... I think I will call and have them add it and when it expires might give me a nice excuse to lower standard APR again Smiley Happy

I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't take it.... You can get your apr reduced in the 6% range in 3 months . But your choice .

Message 9 of 21
willwar14
Valued Contributor

my mom had a similar offer a while back, so it seems legit.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.