Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

obligatory AMEX card, for future 3x CLI

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

obligatory AMEX card, for future 3x CLI

Hello,

I was thinking about applying for an obligatory AMEX card, solely to do a 3x CLI in the near future. Its on my bucket list of things to do. And then maybe cancel an existing young card with a lower credit limit.

Which AMEX card would you recommend?  Preferably one without an annual fee, but if the rewards are interesting enough I'll consider it anyway

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: obligatory AMEX card, for future 3x CLI

@gen-specific wrote:

Hello,

I was thinking about applying for an obligatory AMEX card, solely to do a 3x CLI in the near future. Its on my bucket list of things to do. And then maybe cancel an existing young card with a lower credit limit.

Which AMEX card would you recommend?  Preferably one without an annual fee, but if the rewards are interesting enough I'll consider it anyway

This is a very funny post.  I don't know what to say about "Obligatroy Amex Card" other than NOT!

Bucket List is for fun things to do before you die.  Are you planning to have good time on the 3X CL and die before you pay?

Message 2 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

This is fun! I vote for blue Smiley Happy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 11
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
This is fun! I vote for blue Smiley Happy

Ah yes the sexy looking card

Okay I compared the various blue cards and I applied for simply AMEX Blue

I guess thats it for my hard pulls. Thanks everyone

Message 4 of 11
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I know you've already applied but I have to chime in anyway.  The plain Blue card I think is a bad deal.  You only get MR points as rewards, and I think you're only earning one point per dollar, so they won't add up fast.  I would apply at some point for the Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back on groceries, 3% cash back on dept stores and gas, and 1% cash back on everything else.  Its a 75.00 yearly fee but if you spend at least 25.00 per week on groceries, you easily make this fee back.  Plus there's a cash sign up bonus - I think 250.00.  If you're really dead set against a AF, the Blue Cash Everyday is free, and offers 3% cash back on groceries, 2% cash back on gas and dept stores, and 1% cash back on everything else.  Best of luck.

Message 5 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@koalablue wrote:

I know you've already applied but I have to chime in anyway.  The plain Blue card I think is a bad deal.  You only get MR points as rewards, and I think you're only earning one point per dollar, so they won't add up fast.  I would apply at some point for the Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back on groceries, 3% cash back on dept stores and gas, and 1% cash back on everything else.  Its a 75.00 yearly fee but if you spend at least 25.00 per week on groceries, you easily make this fee back.  Plus there's a cash sign up bonus - I think 250.00.  If you're really dead set against a AF, the Blue Cash Everyday is free, and offers 3% cash back on groceries, 2% cash back on gas and dept stores, and 1% cash back on everything else.  Best of luck.

• Earn one point for virtually every eligible dollar you spend on your Credit Card.1
  • Earn 1 extra point on each dollar of eligible purchases when you book on the American Express Travel website.2
  • Get what you want right now by purchasing extra points or advancing points at checkout.3

Blue gets access to Amex Travel, not sure if BCE and BCP does or not.   Also 2X on travel booked through Amex Travel.  With PRG used to book Amex Travel its 3 +1 X MR points per dollar spent

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 11
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

+1 BCP

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 7 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

Or the Amex Unicorn card....  That one is shiny.

The important thing is getting your "member since" date set as early as you can.  Twenty years from now you'll be glad you did.

Message 8 of 11
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@koalablue wrote:

• Earn one point for virtually every eligible dollar you spend on your Credit Card.1
  • Earn 1 extra point on each dollar of eligible purchases when you book on the American Express Travel website.2
  • Get what you want right now by purchasing extra points or advancing points at checkout.3

Blue gets access to Amex Travel, not sure if BCE and BCP does or not.   Also 2X on travel booked through Amex Travel.  With PRG used to book Amex Travel its 3 +1 X MR points per dollar spent

Got it - thank you for the info.  I would still think that for most folks, it would take quite some time to earn enough points for a good reward. Depends how much money you run through it of course.  If you want to use Amex Travel a fair amount, it could be a great option. To each his own I guess.

Message 9 of 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

Or the Amex Unicorn card....  That one is shiny.

The important thing is getting your "member since" date set as early as you can.  Twenty years from now you'll be glad you did.

Not sure about the 20 years thing!   The need for backdating is more significant earlier on in your credit history.   20 years from now we would hope the OP has a good established history, and doesn't need whatever boost comes from adding X years to AAoA.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.