Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? on AMEX CLI

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

? on AMEX CLI

My BCE is currently at $12K and I'm hoping to get it at about $28K. I know AMEX uses the 3X rule. Also read that the automated system only gives up to $25K

Lets say I go on the automated and ask for $28K, what would happen? Would that be like playing with fire and risk an FR?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: ? on AMEX CLI

Automated can go over 25k. It might counteroffer. Some indicated higher risk of fr with big cli increases. No fear if you are accurate on salary.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Automated can go over 25k. It might counteroffer. Some indicated higher risk of fr with big cli increases. No fear if you are accurate on salary.

So using the 3X rule, technically I can ask for $36K but I only want $28K.

Maybe If I ask for $30, it can counter for less.

Message 3 of 11
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

The higher the initial limit the more chancey it is asking for a 3X increase.  I have a $25k limit on a SPG card but it would be foolish to think AMEX would increase this to $75k, even with some manual review.  They would have some real heartburn with it.  If it was me I'd ask for $25k which should fly within their automated system, do you really need the extra $3k??

Message 4 of 11
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

As I recall, the automatic system actually tells you that you can request a new CL of 3X up to $25K.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

As I recall, the automatic system actually tells you that you can request a new CL of 3X up to $25K.

Thats what I thought too.

Message 6 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

The higher the initial limit the more chancey it is asking for a 3X increase.  I have a $25k limit on a SPG card but it would be foolish to think AMEX would increase this to $75k, even with some manual review.  They would have some real heartburn with it.  If it was me I'd ask for $25k which should fly within their automated system, do you really need the extra $3k??

Would be ideal to get this CL to match my current highest CL

Message 7 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

Thats what I thought too.

I seem to remember this as well.  You may have to call them if you want over that amount.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do end up calling them would you mind shareing with us what they say?  I'm curious!  Good LUCK!!

Message 9 of 11
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

I say call in and speak with the CLI dept specifically. 800-927-0632. You are asking for a sizable increase. For example going from 2k to 6k is wayyy easier then going from 12k to 36k although both are the 3x CLI. The "3x rule" is a nice guide but doesn't always apply.

My experience with AMEX is they usually try to accommodate you if you keep your payment record clean. Good Luck.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.