Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? on BofA

tag
granny031350
Established Contributor

? on BofA

As of Monday, their branches are opening in my town.  They bought out La Salle Bank and now they are BoA.   So if I wanted to try to get into the prime credit card territory, my best shot is to open up a savings account, deposit into it and then apply for a secured card using my BoA account, right?

I got a letter today from CorTrust.  They wanted me to pay 25.00 to raise my credit limit and I almost fell for it.  Then I thought, put that 25.00 into a savings account and start building a relationship with BoA. 

I have bankruptcies on my credit report but BoA would still work with me on secured card, right?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ? on BofA

No, probably not until the BK is dropped. BoA was in my BK 6 years ago. I haven't had a baddie sense and they won't even let me have a fully secured card.
I've bough3 cars and paid off two sense. I have 4 credit cards with zero balances. They won't touch me.

granny031350 wrote:
As of Monday, their branches are opening in my town.  They bought out La Salle Bank and now they are BoA.   So if I wanted to try to get into the prime credit card territory, my best shot is to open up a savings account, deposit into it and then apply for a secured card using my BoA account, right?

I got a letter today from CorTrust.  They wanted me to pay 25.00 to raise my credit limit and I almost fell for it.  Then I thought, put that 25.00 into a savings account and start building a relationship with BoA. 

I have bankruptcies on my credit report but BoA would still work with me on secured card, right?

Message 2 of 17
granny031350
Established Contributor

I have never had an account with BofA before.  Never included in any of my Bk's.  I will ask on Monday. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

granny031350 wrote:
I have never had an account with BofA before.  Never included in any of my Bk's.  I will ask on Monday. Smiley Sad

Also, on their website......if you click on "credit cards" you can do a pre-approval process which is a soft pull and you can speak to a representative online. They were rather helpful when I talked with them.
Message 4 of 17
granny031350
Established Contributor

ok I checked for "any offers" and it came back that they could offer me a secured card and took me to the secured card site for 300.00 etc.  So I am hoping that means I could qualify for a secured card to grow with me.  I will find out Monday. 
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

granny031350 wrote:

I'm sorry. I thought you were saying you had BoA in a BK. Please forgive me.
Message 6 of 17
granny031350
Established Contributor

no problem.  I understand.  I can't get a Wamu card because of Providian being in my chapter 7 back in 2001.  LOL  So I understand.  It is just that there are now like 4 branches in my town and it makes sense to try and grow a relationship with them if they will have me.  I always thought they were some far away bank and now they are in my own small town back yard. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@granny031350 wrote:
ok I checked for "any offers" and it came back that they could offer me a secured card and took me to the secured card site for 300.00 etc.  So I am hoping that means I could qualify for a secured card to grow with me.  I will find out Monday. 

You may want to apply for a unsecured card first. From what I understand from the posts, the only way to be offered the 99/500 secured card is to be declined for a unsecured product. The 99/500 is a much better secured card and will grow with you. You are not guaranteed to be offered the 99/500, but the decline is the only way to receive the offer.

Message Edited by PurpleHaze on 05-03-2008 09:16 PM
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you can get into the BofA secured card program it would be worth it. I started with a secured card in 09/06 and now my CL is 15,000. Great card, never had a problem. (probably just jinxed myself)
Message 9 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

And you don't need to open an account with them. It might come in handy, though, if you were to go with a secured card. As others mentioned, app for their Platinum Plus (easiest to get) and if denied, you could be offered a 99/500 card.

As a heads up though if you accept the 99/500 offer, you'll get dinged with a second inquiry. You won't get charged an inquiry for the savings, but will with a checking.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.