Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening a cc for engagement ring purchase

tag
greasypeanut
Established Member

opening a cc for engagement ring purchase

Hello All,

I am at that stage of my life and relationship where I will be purchasing an engagement ring. I was thinking about opening a 0% intro interest card with some sort of sign up bonus and buying the ring on that. I will then make sure to pay off the ring before the 0% runs out. Is there any downside to that other than a short term credit hit?  I am fortunate enough to be able to pay for the whole ring in cash and not have the purchase put me in any financial bind. But I figure i might as well get something out of it, points or what not.

I was thinking a citi thank you preferred card, any other recommendations?

Best Regards

eq score 789-----ex score 794

CSP $10k - - - - - Freedom $11k
TY Pref $6.8k - - - - - Forward $13.1k
Blue $20k - - - - -Cash + $19.5k
Venture $15k - - - - -Best Buy RZ MC $4.5k (1st card 10 years ago, refuse to attempt CLI due to HP)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: opening a cc for engagement ring purchase

You'll just take a hit due to increased util but it's effects will be gone once you pay it off. So no worries really except temporary lower score. Credit scores have no memory of util

Message 2 of 14
Amexit

@greasypeanut wrote:

I'd say Amex Everyday Preferred or a good local FCU for a 20k + limit which if the ring is 10k or less it wouldn't ding your utilization as much as if you maxed out a lower limit card.

FICO's 07/07/2014 EQ 725 EX 727 TU 724
Message 3 of 14
jd352
Regular Contributor

@greasypeanut wrote:

Hello All,

I am at that stage of my life and relationship where I will be purchasing an engagement ring. I was thinking about opening a 0% intro interest card with some sort of sign up bonus and buying the ring on that. I will then make sure to pay off the ring before the 0% runs out. Is there any downside to that other than a short term credit hit?  I am fortunate enough to be able to pay for the whole ring in cash and not have the purchase put me in any financial bind. But I figure i might as well get something out of it, points or what not.

Best Regards

What are you looking to use the points towards? That is what should really guide you. Depending on the length of your engagement, you could apply for the Amex Platinum, get the 40k bonus MR points and use the airport lounge access for your travels on your honey moon. 

If you want miles, you could apply for the Barclay Arrival Plus as they have a 40k bonus miles bonus as well.

I have heard that the Citi TY points are not great, but I used it to charge my tution and get 21 months to pay it off interest free. Plus get the added bonus of points which I will trade in for random giftcards. I havn't really looked at what they have to offer yet, but it was the best 0% interest card I could find.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 4 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

@greasypeanut wrote:

Hello All,

Best Regards

You listed your score as 792.

If you get a new CC and max it, your score may decline significantly.

Whether the 0% financing is worth the score hit is a decision you have to make.

Message 5 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@greasypeanut wrote:

Hello All,

With these questions the OP always needs to provide criteria to help narrow down the options.  Why are you considering the TYP?  Understanding that may also help.

Message 6 of 14
greasypeanut
Established Member

Thanks for the replies. I was considering the Thank You preferred as I saw it had a 12month no interest no AF plus what would amount to 200 In rewards.  I took a look at citis travel rewards program and though it isn't discounted like CSP it is at the very least on par with sites like expedia. In a perfect world, I wish I didnt have my freedom card as I really like UR points , and UR is great for travel using the CSP. id value the amount of the award over the type.  TYP isn't so bad, as long as you redeem $100 at a time for gift cards.

as far as an Amex platinum, the benefits in my opinion aren't worth the AF. I'll have to take a look at that Barclay card

Venture $15k - - - - -Best Buy RZ MC $4.5k (1st card 10 years ago, refuse to attempt CLI due to HP)
Message 7 of 14
greasypeanut
Established Member

@user5387 wrote:

@greasypeanut wrote:

Hello All,

Best Regards

You listed your score as 792.

If you get a new CC and max it, your score may decline significantly.

Whether the 0% financing is worth the score hit is a decision you have to make.

I wouldn't / shouldn't max the new card. The ring is going to be in the 5-6k range

Message 8 of 14
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Have you considered Discover It? I'm not sure if they are offering a sign up bonus at the moment, but they do offer 14months of 0% APR. And from personal experience I can say they are more than okay with customers carrying a balance. At least that's what the auto CLIs I've received suggest. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@greasypeanut wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I was considering the Thank You preferred as I saw it had a 12month no interest no AF plus what would amount to 200 In rewards.  I took a look at citis travel rewards program and though it isn't discounted like CSP it is at the very least on par with sites like expedia. In a perfect world, I wish I didnt have my freedom card as I really like UR points , and UR is great for travel using the CSP. id value the amount of the award over the type.  TYP isn't so bad, as long as you redeem $100 at a time for gift cards.

as far as an Amex platinum, the benefits in my opinion aren't worth the AF. I'll have to take a look at that Barclay card

If you can use MR points then the EDP would be a good option. A 6k purchase would give you 9k MR points, plus the 15k from the sign up. Of course, there are some PRG offers out there with more, just depends on if you plan on keeping this card when the AF comes due.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.