cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paid 7000$ bofa visa signature and credit line goes down for seven ?

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: paid 7000$ bofa visa signature and credit line goes down for seven ?

I can understand that you are upset and it is a shock to have something like this happen to you. Sadly, there is nothing an outside source (i.e. BBB, CFPB, etc) can do for you. Everything that has happened is within the law and their rights as a banking institution. 

As someone who has filed a BBB complaint against someone for a legitimate reason, yours will not make it very far if you choose to do so. It will be assigned a case number and then the bank will have to respond. Since the bank as done nothing wrong, it will be closed quickly with no harm done to them. 

Message 21 of 49
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

I had a similar thing happen last month, going from 90%+ util to 20% triggered balance chasing. Nothing illegal or objectively immoral about it, unfortunately, although I was really annoyed. It's not consumer-friendly, but they're not there to be consumer-friendly. 

I requested clarification/review, checked my CR that they cited in the reduction letter, got an error fixed, and actually took a HP for reconsideration but they still didn't budge. Went to the last option for getting my situation looked at by BofA, and they're supposed to get back to me next week with whether the Cl can be restore. 

If you're not happy with the way the bank treated you, you can deal with it or you can leave. There are other banks out there, other financing options, and so forth, but ultimately no bank is required to lend you money or extend you credit, or to continue to do so. And I think the only time they're even required to give you any warning is if the AA would leave you over the limit (ie. if they cut your limit to below your current balance). 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 22 of 49
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

I don't have anything to add to OPs message, but I am still a little bit confused as to why a large payment would scare off a company.

I read the responses, and maybe I'm just dumb when it comes to this topic (LOL), but I really don't get it... I thought it would be positive if someone was making minimum payments for a few months, and then all of a sudden saved up money to pay off a larger amount (I know this isn't the OP's case, but I'm saying in general, because the CC doesn't know that). 

I have a Barclay card that was maxed out at a $3,000 limit and the lst 9 months I've literally only made the minimum payment and still used it every month to pay for me gym and it would max out again.. this month I paid off the whole balance, because I saved up money the last 3 months to do so... so, that looks bad and they can possibly close my account? I guess I'm still in the learning process of all this... 

Message 23 of 49
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@Jon85 wrote:

I don't have anything to add to OPs message, but I am still a little bit confused as to why a large payment would scare off a company.

I read the responses, and maybe I'm just dumb when it comes to this topic (LOL), but I really don't get it... I thought it would be positive if someone was making minimum payments for a few months, and then all of a sudden saved up money to pay off a larger amount (I know this isn't the OP's case, but I'm saying in general, because the CC doesn't know that). 

I have a Barclay card that was maxed out at a $3,000 limit and the lst 9 months I've literally only made the minimum payment and still used it every month to pay for me gym and it would max out again.. this month I paid off the whole balance, because I saved up money the last 3 months to do so... so, that looks bad and they can possibly close my account? I guess I'm still in the learning process of all this... 

Not judging anyone here so take this for what it is - 

Look at the orginal posters situation.  OP carried a large balance for a long time in the eyes of the bank, and then made a 7K payment.  That 7K payment would be viewed as odd becuase of past payment history on the account.

If you look at this situation the bank was correct.  The payment was suspicious and now the OP is in a challenging situation becuase of playing money games.  

Message 24 of 49
coterotie
Established Contributor

I think this post said it best.  The activity was borderline and I think scared the bank off.  If I'm interpreting the OP correctly, they basically ran the card up to the limit each month for a long time and did that with other cards, then right after making the minimum payment would start charging again.  So the bank was extremely uncomfortable with the relationship,  So rather than cancelling the card, they looked for an opprotunity to reduce their exposure.  In all likelihood this was triggered by an internal algorithm, which the OP has confirmed by talking about BK. 

I did this myself once when I was a lender.  I got uncomfortable with a relationship as I kept seeing them flipping and floating stuff.  When they didn't return my calls to sign a renewal loan, I cleaned out their bank account and paid the loans off.  They bitched and moaned to my boss, but I got their attention and made sure they were doing stuff the right way from then on.  Eventually they moved a lot of the debt somewhere else which was fine with me.

@pdog661 wrote:

@Jon85 wrote:

Not judging anyone here so take this for what it is - 

Look at the orginal posters situation.  OP carried a large balance for a long time in the eyes of the bank, and then made a 7K payment.  That 7K payment would be viewed as odd becuase of past payment history on the account.

If you look at this situation the bank was correct.  The payment was suspicious and now the OP is in a challenging situation becuase of playing money games.  

Message 25 of 49
mustangy
Contributor

When you do not run business in consumer friendly way some will do and you will down thats will happend to most us banks in the future
All steps by banks are illegal unfair how ever they do what ever they want
Insane I moved all my accounts biz and personel to single branch small bank whic is from my country

Capital one business start me up with no fee now they charge me like 350$ of insane fees for insane reasons
This is not banking to help build business and healty financial system its clearly ripp of

Because of bank of america cut my 7k many comments says bank have save itself
Here we go not paying the other 9k and now goin for bankcrupty
How about this is this bank still trying to protect itself or a wrond decission in the past give credit then stuck consumer in the midway of his business

A sample :
Let say I m big contractor get milyon dollars from the bank and start a giantic cosntruction and I have my own land
A bank easly can give you loan and as sson as you start to build they can recall their credit
So what happend is after foreclosure I have zero in hand my land and business is gone
Is this look like a banking or robrery without gun

capital one $3500 limit aug 2019
capital one $3k limit aut user feb 2019
td cash 2k limit sep 2019
what is 3rd ??? to apply
Message 26 of 49
enharu
Super Contributor

@mustangy wrote:
When you do not run business in consumer friendly way some will do and you will down thats will happend to most us banks in the future
All steps by banks are illegal unfair how ever they do what ever they want
Insane I moved all my accounts biz and personel to single branch small bank whic is from my country

Capital one business start me up with no fee now they charge me like 350$ of insane fees for insane reasons
This is not banking to help build business and healty financial system its clearly ripp of

Because of bank of america cut my 7k many comments says bank have save itself
Here we go not paying the other 9k and now goin for bankcrupty
How about this is this bank still trying to protect itself or a wrond decission in the past give credit then stuck consumer in the midway of his business

Look at it this way.

You can choose which bank to deposit your savings in, just like how banks can choose who they want to lend their money to.

When you withdraw all your money from Bank A and move it to Bank B, can Bank A sue you for damages because what you are doing certainly isn't good for their business since they now have less capital, which in turn affects their profits? 1 person withdrawing money isn't going to make a noticeable difference, but a bank run can cripple a bank. Can the bank then sue their customers?

Banks have to make money one way or another. It may be account maintenance fees, interest fees, transaction fees, or underwriting fees. They have bills to pay for as well. They can't provide no fee banking to everyone for no reason.

Bank of America cut your credit lines because you have been flagged as an extremely risky customer. You dragged your balances at very high utilization for many months. Technically, if they could, they would have already closed your accounts then, but they didn't. Only reason why they didn't is because customers who had their accounts closed or adverse action taken against them tend to be pissed off, and its likely that they refuse to pay their bills as a result. 

If you are going to file for bankruptcy, you have no one but yourself (or your luck) to blame really. You can somehow afford to drive a 110k car and yet have zero savings? Sell that car and buy a cheap car in the meantime? You certainly shouldn't be driving a 110k car if you are on the verge of bankruptcy. 

How about this example. A friend lent you money 10 years ago when you couldn't afford to pay your bills then. Is he obligated to lend you money forever? If your friend isn't, what makes you think a bank is? 

@mustangy wrote:

A sample :
Let say I m big contractor get milyon dollars from the bank and start a giantic cosntruction and I have my own land
A bank easly can give you loan and as sson as you start to build they can recall their credit
So what happend is after foreclosure I have zero in hand my land and business is gone
Is this look like a banking or robrery without gun

No, they cannot recall their credit unless you failed to meet one of the loan conditions or that the bank itself is insolvent for some reason. 

You will be able to sue them. 

And lastly, prior to starting a construction project, you will need to secure all funding before you even start work (though money will come in phases after certain contigencies are met), so in most cases this is a non-issue, unless one of the financiers go out of business midway.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 27 of 49
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I wish I could share my opinion since I've experienced this with BOA but I'm really having a hard time understanding the OP. Are u planning to file bankruptcy or do u mean BOA froze ur account? Well from all I can make out - OP all u can do at this time is to plead ur case with BOA and see what they can do for ya. As for BBB or CFPB u really are out of luck cos to start with, BOFA reserves the right to take an adverse action against u at any time. It's all spelt out in fine prints in the Terms & Conditions of your card which u agreed to by using the card.

Message 28 of 49
jd352
Regular Contributor

Basically, everyone has said the same thing. You currently a high credit risk due to your high utilization. To reduce risk, they lowered your CL. They do this to keep you from getting into a situation that won't get them their money back (as they see it). The best you can do is call them, explain your situation, and see if they reinstate it. Most likely, they will deny and tell you to try again later. 

You have other cards, use them and work on getting your CL back up in the future. Calling the BBB won't do anything. Sure, it may seem like "bad business practices", but their risk department thinks otherwise. If you are really that unhappy, pack up camp, leave them and don't give them anymore business.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 29 of 49
keithB
Established Contributor

@mustangy wrote:

every day i sit at home cost me another 500$ of income loss

If you aren't able to work because of the loss of a credit card limit, it sounds as if you are shuffling funds from one credit card to another.

If I'm wrong about this, my apologies.

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.