Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying balance on credit card every month

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paying balance on credit card every month

I have two credit cards. I use both of them over the course of every month. I pay off the ENTIRE BALANCE every month. I never have any finance charges. 

My question is.... how do they show balances on my credit report??? Shouldn't they be $0.00 on my credit report.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paying balance on credit card every month

It is almost certainly the statement balance that is reported every month.

Message 2 of 12
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two credit cards. I use both of them over the course of every month. I pay off the ENTIRE BALANCE every month. I never have any finance charges. 

My question is.... how do they show balances on my credit report??? Shouldn't they be $0.00 on my credit report.  

They will be $0.00 if you pay them before the STATEMENT date rather than the DUE date.  Creditors report to the credit bureaus when you statement for the month is cut, not the date you pay your bill. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 3 of 12
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit card companies are reporting your balance as of the statement closing date (not the due date).  If you want to have zero balances reported, you must make sure you remit payment far enough in advance so that it posts to your account before the statement closing date each month.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 4 of 12
MaryJane197
Regular Contributor

Is it better for you to pay before the statement date?  whats the difference in paying before and after?  how do you know the statement date?

07/14/20:-TransUnion: 528 / Equifax: 521, / Experian: 666
Filed BK 01/24/2020
Message 5 of 12
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@MaryJane197 wrote:

Is it better for you to pay before the statement date?  whats the difference in paying before and after?  how do you know the statement date?

It's always important to pay at least the minimum due by the due date each month.  But, to control what is reported on your credit reports each month, you must also keep the statement date in mind and plan/pay accordingly if you want a zero balance or just a lower balance in general to be reported to the credit bureaus.

Your statement closing date should be noted on your monthly statement(s).  You can always call your credit card companies to find out as well.

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am the OP.....But my statement closing date is 3 days after the due date. If I pay by the due date then I am paying before the statement closing date.  Why is it still showing a balance?

Message 7 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am the OP.....But my statement closing date is 3 days after the due date. If I pay by the due date then I am paying before the statement closing date.  Why is it still showing a balance?

are you using the card after paying? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes... I use the card every day... CapOne Venture Card... double miles. I Use the CapOne card instead of debit card or cash. 

Message 9 of 12
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You must be using the card(s) and creating more transactions that are posting to your statement right up to the closing date.  Are you able to see pending charges on your credit accounts?  If so, you'll need to factor in those charges when you make a payment.

Basically, if you really want to have zero balances reporting on the statement closing date, you'll need to refrain from using your card(s) for a few days leading up to the day your statements cut.  That's what I have been doing.  And I've been so anal about it lately that I've been overpaying by a small amount so that I end up with a credit balance when my statements cut (they report as zero balances to the credit bureaus).  You probably don't need to go that far though!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.