Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying down credit card

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

paying down credit card

I am thinking of paying off my 18k credit card all in lump and keep it open @ $0.  How does one keep disciplined to not use that dang thing without closing it? Smiley Happy   Appreciate the comments!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paying down credit card

The trick is to use the card to get the reward points, and pay in full every month. 

For me, my normal expenses would be paid with my debit card. So rather than use debit, I use my credit card for my purchases, and pay the bill in full before the statement closes.  I use my credit cards for everything, I just never keep a balance. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that is a difficult problem. I think one way would be to keep them open but cut up the cards. Then, in case of a "real" emergency, you could call and request a new card. Just a suggestion! Good for you being able to pay off the debt!! YOU GO!!!
Message 3 of 6
shane82388
Established Contributor

If its a real emergency you probably wont have time to wait around for a new card to be shipped to you...lol

Message 4 of 6
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Pretty simple... If I can't afford to pay it off when the next statement cuts, I won't buy it. Unless it's a planned and worthwhile purchase.

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@babbles wrote:

@I am thinking of paying off my 18k credit card all in lump and keep it open @ $0.  How does one keep disciplined to not use that dang thing without closing it? Smiley Happy   Appreciate the comments!

I use several of my cards to pay recurring monthly expenses like cable, gas company, etc. and that's all I use them for. They show activity which keeps the CCC's happy. This works very well for me.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.