Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off AMEX everyday card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paying off AMEX everyday card

Hi, I just got a new one and heard you can only make one payment per month on-line.  Is that correct?  I already set up auto-pay for well above the minimum during the 15-month 0% interest period but like to keep my balances as low as possible.  I tried making a payment today and it wouldn't let me (said no payment was due).  Also, with my opening 15K limit do I still qualify for the 3X CLI?  My income is tax free government disability so I can't provide tax statements if AMEX asks for income verification.   I do have government reports that state my assets and income.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: paying off AMEX everyday card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I just got a new one and heard you can only make one payment per month on-line.  Is that correct?  I already set up auto-pay for well above the minimum during the 15-month 0% interest period but like to keep my balances as low as possible.  I tried making a payment today and it wouldn't let me (said no payment was due).  Also, with my opening 15K limit do I still qualify for the 3X CLI?  My income is tax free government disability so I can't provide tax statements if AMEX asks for income verification.   I do have government reports that state my assets and income.  Thank you.

The one payment rule is for first month or first 30 days of account opening. After that you can make up to 5 payments per day. No restrictions. It simply has to do with verifying the checking account is yours. That's. It. If you must pay you can also push it directly from bank. Just go through their system.  Not the app. Have your account number. More than 1 way to ride a horse. Goid luck. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already have an Amex you can use your verifed bank info to avert the 30 days 1 payment. 

I have had 2 new accounts this month and have used the account linked to my PRG and have had no problems making multiple payments. 

Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Never had the issue of one payment in 30 days with Amex.. Probably depends upon the bank etc... Who knows, doesn't happen to all, but has happened to some.

You can also push a payment to Amex if needed by Bill Pay and then you can do unlimited

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 1 payments for the first 30 days in not completely correct. I got my first Amex card a couple of months ago and made 2 payments durring the first 30 days. I used the card a lot and made a payment after the 2nd week and then again the 4th week. When you make the first payment will determine if you can make a second. After the 1st payment, it took 2 weeks for there system to allow me to make a second.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want yo make a 2nd payment in the 1st 30 days you can mail it to:

American Express

PO Box 36001

Ft Lauderdale, FL 33336-0001

or overnight to:

American Express

US Payment Florida

1801 NW 66th Ave, Suite 103 A

Plantation,  FL 33313-4571

I did that my 1st month

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want yo make a 2nd payment in the 1st 30 days you can mail it to:

American Express

PO Box 36001

Ft Lauderdale, FL 33336-0001

or overnight to:

American Express

US Payment Florida

1801 NW 66th Ave, Suite 103 A

Plantation,  FL 33313-4571

I did that my 1st month

Pushing from your bank is easier and cheaper (although not as quick as overnight)

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or again, not to sound like I am some employee of AMEX, (because I am always telling people  to use/try AMEX Serve) you can always use Amex Serve to pay your bill. You can fund it from a checking account, a debit account, etc. It take's about 2 days the first time you make a payment. Then after that it usually is the next business day. Now the issue with that may be the limits. I think you can only add in $1500 per month from a checking account. But I avoid this just by adding a 2nd authorized user. Then you can do more.

When I first read this post I got scared. I just opened my AMEX ED and send a $1 payment just to verify the account number and address was correct on my AMEX Serve. In my mind I was thinking oh holy crap I can only make one payment my first 30 days, I am gonna be in BIG TROUBLE! lol.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember panicking the first month too. Just one month of it posting won't hurt. relax. Credit should be used as a tool to help you. Amex gave you a trade line, they won't close it just cuz your using it.
Message 9 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

And generally first bill is not due until 6 weeks after opening. So no payment is even due in first 30 days. So no need to panic.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.