Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off credit card immediately. Do you still gets points

tag
Darius1976
New Contributor

paying off credit card immediately. Do you still gets points

Hello Team,

I have the Hilton Honors Credit Card.  I was wondering.  If I use the card to, lets say, buy grocercies...then I immediately pay off what I spent within an few hours. (ie make  payment through the online pay system), do I still get the bonus Hhonor points?  Thank you in advance.

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
riffdex
Valued Member

Re: paying off credit card immediately. Do you still gets points

Yes you can and should pay it off immediately.
AMEX BCE $7,100 eBay MasterCard $5,000 SallieMae MasterCard $1,100 Emigrant Direct $4,500 Wells Fargo Platinum $1,500
Belk Rewards $1,700 Amazon Rewards $3,000 WalMart Discover $1,200 Barclay's Rewards $1,000 Discover More $2,800

What's in your wallet? : D
Message 2 of 11
Darius1976
New Contributor

Ok.  I just wasn't sure if I would still get the points if I did. 

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 3 of 11
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@riffdex wrote:

This is almost always true. However, you must also remember that some banks may or may not report activity figures if you always report a $0 balance. This is why it is best to rotate a few cards so that it generates a small enough bill and pay it off before it accumulates any interest. 

Message 4 of 11
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

You should be OK in receiving the points.

However, In my opinion, it's not always a good idea to continuously have your credit cards report zero balances.

You should rotate them to report balance and pay before Interest takes effect.

I have heard after six months of zero balances FICO will no longer consider the account for purposes of scoring.

Message 5 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Why would you think it is beneficial to payoff your credit card immediatly? that's just bad advice... Unless you are planning on apping for something in the next 30-45 days; and need the drop in utilization to help your score.  It is more beneficial to let that money sit in an account that is earning interest, and pay your statement balance on the due date in order to maximize your interest earnings.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 11
millenion
Established Member

@SSA_2013 wrote:

@riffdex wrote:

This is almost always true. However, you must also remember that some banks may or may not report activity figures if you always report a $0 balance. This is why it is best to rotate a few cards so that it generates a small enough bill and pay it off before it accumulates any interest. 

Wow I never knew that I was always scared of having a high utilization which is why I pay it off frequently

Message 7 of 11
Darius1976
New Contributor

Thanks for everyone's advice...  I am applying for a mortgage in the near future (30-45 days).  The loan is at the underwriter.  This is why I am paying off the card early.  Should I pay everything except a couple of dollars then so it will report?

Message 8 of 11
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Why would you think it is beneficial to payoff your credit card immediatly? that's just bad advice... Unless you are planning on apping for something in the next 30-45 days; and need the drop in utilization to help your score.  It is more beneficial to let that money sit in an account that is earning interest, and pay your statement balance on the due date in order to maximize your interest earnings.

This.

Message 9 of 11
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

This.

This is good advice too but can be hurtful in some instances. If you have all of your accounts post with high utilization it might spook some creditors month after month. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.