Established Contributor
fender

penfed

CRAP!  Is it really that easy to join!?  My dad was in the army, so i listed his name as my eligibility requirement on the application, and bam, it says im in.. gives me a membership number and everything... 

So im assuming I really am a member now?  Im very pessimistic lol..
"WTB Access Number"
Valued Contributor
jmbfl

Re: penfed

I don't see how your father having been in the Army qualifies you for membership in PenFed. Are you sure you didn't join NMFA or MOAA?
Valued Contributor
wmarat

Indeed, it is easy to join, it is much harder to get their products.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Valued Contributor
stef37

Could be his father is a member. On the application to join, it asks for their number if you know it.

If not a member then to mark how that person is eligible.
Valued Contributor
jmbfl

Responses like that tend bring out my cranky side. Let the OP respond and clarify his situation. No need for that kind of silly speculation!
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

wmarat wrote:
Indeed, it is easy to join, it is much harder to get their products.

From what I've read here, they say PenFed hates, hates, hates, lots of new accounts. If OP intends on applying, hopefully all accounts are at least 6 months old.
Here we go again...
Established Contributor
fender

When i was reading about eligibility it said family members of persons who were in the army are eligible.  My dad does not have an account with penfed, but he was in the army.  When it asked how I qualify for membership, I said my dad was in the army, it asked for his name and telephone number.

So i entered my dads  name and telephone number and apparantly it didnt do any kind of "check" like NFCU does.  It appeared I would be approved for membership if i just entered John Doe!  My dad of couse was in the army though.

It opened an account for me and i funded it with $5. (the minimum)

I havent applied for a CC yet because I have baddies and new accounts which i read they dont like.

I just thought it would be more difficult to join PENFED than it was..
"WTB Access Number"
Valued Contributor
stef37

Well, then I speculated correctly. Congrats again on getting in with them!
Valued Member
boauld

what CRA does penfed pull? My dad also was in the army maybe I'll get one of there cards. Which card should I get from them?
Valued Contributor
stef37

They pull EQ.

Check out their rewards card.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}