Established Contributor

penfed

CRAP!  Is it really that easy to join!?  My dad was in the army, so i listed his name as my eligibility requirement on the application, and bam, it says im in.. gives me a membership number and everything... 

So im assuming I really am a member now?  Im very pessimistic lol..
"WTB Access Number"
Valued Contributor

Re: penfed

I don't see how your father having been in the Army qualifies you for membership in PenFed. Are you sure you didn't join NMFA or MOAA?
Valued Contributor

Indeed, it is easy to join, it is much harder to get their products.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Valued Contributor

Could be his father is a member. On the application to join, it asks for their number if you know it.

If not a member then to mark how that person is eligible.
Valued Contributor

Responses like that tend bring out my cranky side. Let the OP respond and clarify his situation. No need for that kind of silly speculation!
Senior Contributor

wmarat wrote:
Indeed, it is easy to join, it is much harder to get their products.

From what I've read here, they say PenFed hates, hates, hates, lots of new accounts. If OP intends on applying, hopefully all accounts are at least 6 months old.
Here we go again...
Established Contributor

When i was reading about eligibility it said family members of persons who were in the army are eligible.  My dad does not have an account with penfed, but he was in the army.  When it asked how I qualify for membership, I said my dad was in the army, it asked for his name and telephone number.

So i entered my dads  name and telephone number and apparantly it didnt do any kind of "check" like NFCU does.  It appeared I would be approved for membership if i just entered John Doe!  My dad of couse was in the army though.

It opened an account for me and i funded it with $5. (the minimum)

I havent applied for a CC yet because I have baddies and new accounts which i read they dont like.

I just thought it would be more difficult to join PENFED than it was..
"WTB Access Number"
Valued Contributor

Well, then I speculated correctly. Congrats again on getting in with them!
Valued Member

what CRA does penfed pull? My dad also was in the army maybe I'll get one of there cards. Which card should I get from them?
Valued Contributor

They pull EQ.

Check out their rewards card.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.