Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please sum up all discover dislike in this thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: please sum up all discover dislike in this thread

Why not give Barclay's a chance for a free TU FICO..
Message 31 of 195
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is nice to me 

Message 32 of 195
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread may well be the ultimate YMMV. Love discover, hate discover this thread just goes to prove that not every card is for everyone. Not every lender loves all types of scores and patterns evenly. We all know the myfico posters are not exactly the epitome of a random sampling of credit consumers. We do things that break norms, that don't neccessarily fit into standard consumer behavior. Whether it is firing 5 payments a month at a lender to keep util down or having 2x annual income in credit limits or having 70 credit cards the behaviors here vary widly from standard deviations. Just because scores say you may be a terrificly low risk consumer, just by being abnormal and understanding the scoring may put you on someone's radar as someone to monitor closely.

I process lots of CC payments from regular customers and the vast majority could clearly improve their arsenal of cards. A good number of them are relatively wealthy but probably have less real credit knowledge than people who diligently read these boards and understand the concepts. They pay with cards that make no sense. Why anybody pays a 30 dollar bar tab with a slate card I will never understand. Once maybe, but day after day, month after month? But the average consumer gets in to a habit, and from what you see here, discover may well want that guy, with that habit.

As a business model, it makes sense. Why give a guy with 15 cards and 150k in available credit 10k? Chances are only 1 in 15 hes gonna use your card on any transaction. And those transactions are probably not going to be terribly profitable for discover. And that is what they are in biz for.

This is certainly not an apology for discover. I am a fan, but just from a logic standpoint I can't blame what they do. I understand that some people here by all rights should get more love from them. But as with any unrequitted love, all you can do is find something better.

Message 33 of 195
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Why not give Barclay's a chance for a freeTU FICO..

I probably will after I leave the garden.  I'm playing the simulator game to see how quickly my score recovers.  Thus, I'm in the garden until 6/2016.  I don't need anything in the interim and I may give Discover an opportunity to keep my business if the increase my CLI without a HP between now and 6/2016.  

I hear good things about Barclay's on this forum so I am tempted to move in that direction regardless.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 195
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Love Discover except for their conservative CLs

Message 35 of 195
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

I dislike that Discover has been giving me Auto CLI every 3 months since I opened their card up last year.  Went from $5500 to $7000 in a year and I didn't even ask for it!

Message 36 of 195
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

I dislike that Discover has been giving me Auto CLI every 3 months since I opened their card up last year.  Went from $5500 to $7000 in a year and I didn't even ask for it!

Hahaha! Wanna trade? I could use a limit like that on mine.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 37 of 195
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

had card 1 year 1000 starting line

2 hp's over 3 months 1500, 250 each time

closed account when disco requested 4506-t

hold on now, you just posted in another thread that you were doing a series of $11.00 BT between Discover and CapOne? That doesn't seem like an odd set of transactions to you? Just throwing out ideas for why they would want to know more about what you are doing.

juggalo9er, weren't you also the person who, a few months ago, suggested that we could all hurt CapOne by redeeming our cashback in amounts of a few dollars or a few cents, costing them a ton of money with all the transactions? I couldn't find that thread in a quick search, but I remember it and I remember all the people responding why would anybody want to do that?

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with Discover and I realize that your suggestion about misusing CapOne's redemption policies as a way to attack CapOne doesn't bear directly on what went wrong between you and Discover. Still, that and your mention of $11 BTs does make me wonder about your relationship with the companies that extend credit to you.

Message 38 of 195
bigbang91
Established Contributor

Im xtremely disappointed with Discover, they refuse to honor my 5% cash back bonus purchase. Im gonna close the card if i did not receive a big CLi this friday when I'm eligible. Im certain i deserve a bigger CLI than 2k

Message 39 of 195
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

And juggalo9er, your exact words about those $11 balance transfers were:

"discover was good for transferring an $11 balance with no fee back and forth bewteen them and capitol one for 11 months with me..

other than that no use

no that was not a typo it was $11 lol"

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-reward-rip-off/m-p/3773153#

Sounds as if you're willing to cut off your own nose to spite your face when it comes to playing games with cc issuers. You can't blame Discover for this.

Message 40 of 195
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.