Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible upgrade in the future

tag
alakazam
New Contributor

possible upgrade in the future

Hello all, I am new to the forum and credit cards as well. I am 23, working full-time since February this year (living in CA if that matters). I have never taken a loan or had or aplied for a credit card. Recently I applied for 2 cards, first the Citi Expedia rewards, for which I got denied. Then for the CapitalOne Rewards for new credit users and got approved for $500.

I wanted the Expedia card because I travel to Europe often and it would be nice to stack points in some way. I then found out about the CapitalOne VentureOne, but it said I need perfect credit so I didn't apply for it. The problem is tickets to Europe are usually ~$1400 2 way, and I need 2 for me and the wife. So a $500 card will in no way help. I know I can't get a huge increase right away.

My main question is how long generally before I should start reconsidering applying for a card again? 3mo, 6mo, 9mo? As you know tickets need to be bought in advance so I think I will miss this year's purchase on a CC. I basically need a limit of $3000, I have cash, I have Checking and Savings accounts with money there, and I will pay off anything right away. I have the money, I just need a card to use it through. The problem is the no history imo. I don't care for the cash rewards I will have on my current card, I want a travel card, like Citi Expedia or CapitalOne VentureOne (preferably).

Thank you for reading through, and your comments are appreciated. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: possible upgrade in the future

This is first credit period you have?

Do you have a credit score?

Have you pulled either Equifax or Trans Union Fico Reports from this website?

If this is first ever credit card, 6 months... that would be first time you would have a score generate after having this Capital One.

Message 2 of 7
alakazam
New Contributor

I haven't had any credit cards or loans before. I don't think monthly subscriptions count as credit. I have not pulled a report from here before.

Message 3 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Gt free credit reports from annualcreditreport. 6 montHs after cap one reports, go for another fairly easy card or two. Do your research. check credit unions etc. 6 months after that, go for more long term cards. Btw, if you have the cash, go for another secured card now. That will decrease your waiting time to go for better cards.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@alakazam wrote:

Hello all, I am new to the forum and credit cards as well. I am 23, working full-time since February this year (living in CA if that matters). I have never taken a loan or had or aplied for a credit card. Recently I applied for 2 cards, first the Citi Expedia rewards, for which I got denied. Then for the CapitalOne Rewards for new credit users and got approved for $500.

I wanted the Expedia card because I travel to Europe often and it would be nice to stack points in some way. I then found out about the CapitalOne VentureOne, but it said I need perfect credit so I didn't apply for it. The problem is tickets to Europe are usually ~$1400 2 way, and I need 2 for me and the wife. So a $500 card will in no way help. I know I can't get a huge increase right away.

My main question is how long generally before I should start reconsidering applying for a card again? 3mo, 6mo, 9mo? As you know tickets need to be bought in advance so I think I will miss this year's purchase on a CC. I basically need a limit of $3000, I have cash, I have Checking and Savings accounts with money there, and I will pay off anything right away. I have the money, I just need a card to use it through. The problem is the no history imo. I don't care for the cash rewards I will have on my current card, I want a travel card, like Citi Expedia or CapitalOne VentureOne (preferably).

Thank you for reading through, and your comments are appreciated. Smiley Happy

Open a secured card and deposit 3K on it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 7
alakazam
New Contributor

Right, but I don't have CapitalOne branches here in Bay Area. Unless I am missing something? Otherwise, that is exactly what I will do with my current bank. Thanks for the advice.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can open one online http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/mastercard-secured-credit-card/

Or use a different bank, most today offer secured credit cards.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.