Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pre-applications for credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

pre-applications for credit cards

my fico score is 727 and i decided to use those pre-applications for bank of america and hsbc. when i used the hsbc pre-application, it said i was pre-qualified for a secured visa card. i don't understand why it would offer me this when i have a good credit score, even if i've been dealing with credit for a little over a year. when i used the bank of america pre-application, the message was they couldn't offer me a credit card at this time. i went ahead and applied for a student platinum visa card and was approved. are these pre-applications even accurate?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Logical
Regular Contributor

Re: pre-applications for credit cards

For the most part those offers are pre-approvals to apply not to actually get the card. Right now your "little over a year" is hurting you. It would have in the past but especially in today's climate. Time will cure it. Be patient.

Message 2 of 4
jackg
Established Contributor

my fico score is 727 Which CRA is this score related to?

when i used the hsbc pre-application,(assuming you mean pre-approved) it said i was pre-qualified for a secured visa card. i don't understand why it would offer me this  Which CRA was pulled?

when i used the bank of america pre-application, the message was they couldn't offer me a credit card at this time.   Which CRA was pulled?

Do you have any negatives on your reports? Public records? Besides the 727 score what are your other scores? Are you a student? How old are you? How many years of credit history do you have? This is probably why you are having trouble. You said you've been dealing with credit for a little over a year, correct? Your best course of action would be to ask a family member (Parents, siblings with same last name) to add you as an "AU" to their CC's and that will give you automatic history/age to your credit report. However, be certain that these accounts don't have any negative activity associated with them such as high utilization, late payments, etc.

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 3 of 4
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

FICO scores over 700 based on thin credit files are not indicative of actual app'ing results. There's a little more to getting a credit approval than just a FICO score. You need history, too!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.