Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preselected versus preapproved?

tag
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

preselected versus preapproved?

what's the diff? I keep getting an email from AMEX saying im preselected and to 'apply now'.  But I know that can't be the case since my EX is frozen and that's who they pull. I wanted a definitive answer on what preselected versus preapproved actually means, please! Thanks a bunch!! Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
wreith
Frequent Contributor

Re: preselected versus preapproved?

I found this thread it might be the answer you seek.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Pre-selected-vs-Pre-approved/td-p/1005962

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 2 of 4
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

While Amex pulls experian for hard pulls, that isn't true for soft pulls. They soft my TU monthly and have never softed my EX. So if EX is the only one you froze, they may be softing one of your other CRAs and that may be the basis for preapproval. As for the specific email you got, it is hard to tell. If you go to their web site and go to "view my offers", do you see anything? Anything on that page is pretty solid for approval.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Be careful with amex emails. I get an email from them at least once a week which is just advertising because I signed up for their offers. A lot of people come on here asking if those are "Special Offers" for them, but almost everyone gets the same exact email. I know they're not special offers for me because I definitely don't qualify Smiley Tongue 

Like the previous poster said, check their "View My Special Offers" thing. That will either (AFAIK) soft you, or check your most recent soft from them (if they've softed you before), and it will give you a better answer. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.