Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

puzzled about dcu

tag
rolangunslinger
Established Member

Re: puzzled about dcu

addendum: they are definitely going to be my main bank, I have been with a local credit union for over 8 years(with perfect payment history), DCU has already offered me a higher credit limit and better loan rates than my old credit union ever did even with all the history. I am definitely a DCU convert now!

Amex BCE - 25000, Discover IT - 21200, BOA Cash Rewards - 19500, DCU Platinum Visa - 10000, Chase Freedom - 13500, US Bank Cash+ - ????, Citi Double Cash - 6800, Lowes Visa - 25000, Truliant Visa - 3500, PayPal Smart Connect - 4500, King Size - 3450

Starting Scores 03/14 TU=614 EX=598 EQ=588 Current Scores TU=819 EX=801 EQ=811

Message 11 of 17
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

i guess in my case they told me what i could get (build up anticipation) and then the delay in membership...i do plan on switching to them as their rates are great just waiting patiently i guess....maybe you can tell me if their rewards card is worth it?

The DCU Visa has some rewards, but the main reward is that there is a low APR on the card. So, DCU isn't my go-to card, but I do use their card from time to time.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 12 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

i guess in my case they told me what i could get (build up anticipation) and then the delay in membership...i do plan on switching to them as their rates are great just waiting patiently i guess....maybe you can tell me if their rewards card is worth it?

For the most part, CU rewards cards are not worth it.

It's often better to get the non-rewards version with a lower APR.

Such cards are useful for various "financing" tasks -- BTs, carrying a balance, cash advances, overdraft protection on checking, and so on.

This is where CU cards shine.

Message 13 of 17
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

For the most part, CU rewards cards are not worth it.

It's often better to get the non-rewards version with a lower APR.

Such cards are useful for various "financing" tasks -- BTs, carrying a balance, cash advances, overdraft protection on checking, and so on.

This is where CU cards shine.

I agree! My DCU has the lowest APR and no BT fee so if ever I needed a BT it's there Smiley Happy

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 14 of 17
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i did recieve my membership acceptance today however was told i have to wait for the welcome packet to arrive to apply for anything..any merit to this?

Message 15 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@juggalo9er wrote:

i did recieve my membership acceptance today however was told i have to wait for the welcome packet to arrive to apply for anything..any merit to this?

Probably because you'll need your user number to access the website.  I don't think you have to wait to apply but you'll need it for final approval. 

Message 16 of 17
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@ 09Lexie wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

Probably because you'll need your user number to access the website.  I don't think you have to wait to apply but you'll need it for final approval. 

for probaly the 300th time....ty lexie and if i understand what your saying the "pre approvals" they gave me are valid off the pull they already did, its just a matter of the true approval?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.