Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about how to do this Gardening

tag
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

question about how to do this Gardening

Ok I'm done with my applications
Got my Most of the cards Iwanted and ones i wanted most *ahem* amex bce denied me and kinda mixed feelings about findined out that i was denied for the better balance rewards -.-

How do i do this gardening?? Is it credit cards where i just sock drawer it or use it and pay off the statements?
and paying off to 0 balance Do i pay before the statement ends? interested gets added if i have a balance with a statement issued with me right??

1) BofA cash rewards 0% APR until July 2014 22.99% APR after
2) Capital One TBD until i receved my updated card i guess I'm assuming it'll be 19.8% APR since i'm upgraded to Quicksilverone
3) Discover IT 0% APR until end of Jan 2014 20.99% APR after
4) Chase 0 % APR  for 15 billing cycles then 22.99% APR after

I'm assuming that most people will agree that i should use Discover IT card after the 0% Promo APR ends? or capital one quicksilver one?

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: question about how to do this Gardening

Gardening means no apping for new cards... Just take good care of your new cards and let them age Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Forgot the most important I wanted to say...check out the garden club thread for more info Smiley Wink

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you are PIF it shouldn't matte about the APR - but what ou are purchasing.

Gardening is letting new accts/inq's age, asking for sp CLI's etc. no new TLs.
Message 4 of 9
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

ok i kinda understood the part of no more cc apps or hard pull cli's but i was just curious

about what i do with the current cards i have do i use it and pay it off before every statments ?
and keeping 0 balance means paying it off before the statement cycle ends right??

Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Pay all but 1 off if you wish to increase scores while gardening 

Leave 1-9% on the one card 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

How you use your cards is really up to you. If your cards are in the 0% period you could carry a balance if you wish ESP if you are not applying. Keep in mind, lenders sp your cr and keeping a bal may hinder your auto CLI's.

I would try and keep the util that reports under 20% and let 1 card report a balance. If yo could less that's fine too.
Message 7 of 9
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys you are all verry helpful during my credit card education process

Although I am leaving my credit cards with balances during my promo process at a low balance so i can pay it off when needed or not excessive where i'm out of my reach to be able to pay it off  I"m trying to keep every card well below 30% per each credit card but over all credit to debt ratio of less 10%

and after reading about how credit cards can close your card for inactivitiy i will have to use cap one time to tome lol
My express store card hasn't been used for 2 or close to 3 years and it's still open Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Since your in the garden you can report balances. Just watch you util tho for scoring purposes Smiley Wink

---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.