Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about shopdiscover

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

question about shopdiscover

I used my discover card to buy some stuff from Nordstrom and TNF thru shopdiscover. Nordstrom had the 5% cash back and TNF had 15% cash back so does that mean ill be getting 5/15% on top of the 5% cash back on online and department stores this quarter? The is the first time i use shopdiscover so im not sure.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: question about shopdiscover

I've never found shopDiscover all that useful...I mean...if I use my card at any of the places they say are their partners...I see cashback bonuses anyway without having to sign into Discover and go through the my account page. The only thing I have to do is use my card and I get it. I don't know if that happens to other Discover cardholders.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

5% is only what's included in the quarterly categories at that time. Shop Discover has their own cashback bonuses so unfortunately it won't be that percentage plus 5%. At least it's never been double for me.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 16
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

That sucks. Only reason i even bought anything was because i thought id be gettin extra cash back...
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Yes, you get both.

They are separate cashback offers:

1. Discover 5% cashback bonus for dept stores & online shopping from Oct - Dec 2012.
  2. ShopDiscover also gives you cashback (% varies) if you click through their website to shop at various online retailers.

FYI, there are many different online shopping cashback websites like ShopDiscover.

Message 5 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@jsickz32 wrote:
I used my discover card to buy some stuff from Nordstrom and TNF thru shopdiscover. Nordstrom had the 5% cash back and TNF had 15% cash back so does that mean ill be getting 5/15% on top of the 5% cash back on online and department stores this quarter? The is the first time i use shopdiscover so im not sure.

Absolutely yes.

Message 6 of 16
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

5% is only what's included in the quarterly categories at that time. Shop Discover has their own cashback bonuses so unfortunately it won't be that percentage plus 5%. At least it's never been double for me.

This is totally wrong.  Discover does stack the bonuses.  Lets use Home Depot for example.  5% for the online bonus, 10% for ShopDiscover and if you use it on a bonus 2% day that stacks too.  So right that's 17% cashback.  Ask Discover themselves they will confirm this.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 7 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@maiden_girl wrote:

I've never found shopDiscover all that useful...I mean...if I use my card at any of the places they say are their partners...I see cashback bonuses anyway without having to sign into Discover and go through the my account page. The only thing I have to do is use my card and I get it. I don't know if that happens to other Discover cardholders.

Are you positive you didn't just get cashback bonus from the department stores category this quarter?

Message 8 of 16
lithium78
Established Contributor

Word of warning:  If you are using ShopDiscover to buy from GuitarCenter.com, you don't get the ShopDiscover cashback bonus if you purchase used gear.  The reason for this is that the used gear is charged as if it was a purchase made at the individual retail store listed instead of an online transaction.  I just found this out, which really disappointed me.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@lithium78 wrote:

Word of warning:  If you are using ShopDiscover to buy from GuitarCenter.com, you don't get the ShopDiscover cashback bonus if you purchase used gear.  The reason for this is that the used gear is charged as if it was a purchase made at the individual retail store listed instead of an online transaction.  I just found this out, which really disappointed me.

If you bother giving them a call, they likely will credit the cash back to your account.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.