Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Benefits" of carrying AmEx

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Benefits" of carrying AmEx

Hey all! What are the benefits of holding an AmEx card in general? The reason I ask is because I'm considering the BCP as a better everyday card than my B of A Cash Rewards. I am not specifically asking about the benefits of BCP, but rather AmEx as a whole (BCP just happens to be the card I'm considering Smiley Happy).

The only other alternative I'm consdering is the Sallie Mae MC. I'm usually very anti-AF, so the SM is appealing to me. After running some numbers, both cards will profit me approximately the same amount of cash back.

My average monthly spending = $350 on groceries + $100 on gas.

SM = $210 cash back/year (w/ caps)

BCP = $213 ($288 CB - AF)

Now with cash back being nearly equal, a few AmEx benefits I can think of that are swaying me more towards AmEx are:

-Possibility of backdating future cards

-Likelihood AmEx will give me strong SL

-Great customer service (so I've heard)

-No stress disputes vs. retailers

-Extended warranties on purchases

Some downsides I can think of are:

-AmEx not accepted everywhere

Any other pros/cons I should consider regarding AmEx as a whole? I have always heard AmEx is one of the finer companies, I would just like to validate why Smiley Tongue.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: "Benefits" of carrying AmEx

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all! What are the benefits of holding an AmEx card in general? The reason I ask is because I'm considering the BCP as a better everyday card than my B of A Cash Rewards. I am not specifically asking about the benefits of BCP, but rather AmEx as a whole (BCP just happens to be the card I'm considering Smiley Happy).

The only other alternative I'm consdering is the Sallie Mae MC. I'm usually very anti-AF, so the SM is appealing to me. After running some numbers, both cards will profit me approximately the same amount of cash back.

Now with cash back being nearly equal, a few AmEx benefits I can think of that are swaying me more towards AmEx are:

Any other pros/cons I should consider regarding AmEx as a whole? I have always heard AmEx is one of the finer companies, I would just like to validate why Smiley Tongue.

Your calculation is slightly off, because you still get 1% on the grocery spend above $250.  Now 1% of the extra 100 is $1, so that only adds $12 a year, but pushes SM slightly ahead.   However, Amex Offers (which you don't list as a beneft) are likely to to be worth more than the difference

I think you have listed the main advantages and disadvantages,  SP CLIs at various times is a selling point to some

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

LTL, fantastic catch on the 1% Smiley LOL!

Message 3 of 30
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your calculation is slightly off, because you still get 1% on the grocery spend above $250.  Now 1% of the extra 100 is $1, so that only adds $12 a year, but pushes SM slightly ahead.   However, Amex Offers (which you don't list as a beneft) are likely to to be worth more than the difference

I think you have listed the main advantages and disadvantages,  SP CLIs at various times is a selling point to some

Barclays has given me quite a few offers as well. $20 off my Amazon prime membership once, and 4 times they gave me 2X bonus points in various categories, which is nice when they overlap the 5x categories. Plus, Barclays gives free FICO scores. And I've been able to get a second Sallie Mae card.

If you use the Bookstore category to get 5x on Amazon.com purchases, then that is a huge advantage for the Sallie mae. 

Of course, you can get both cards if they are both advantageous to you. Or even if not.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 30
onstar
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

However, Amex Offers (which you don't list as a beneft) are likely to to be worth more than the difference

+1. Although this is a huge YMMV, Amex frequently offers something that most people can use. Among the current offers (there are about 30 right now) is $10 back when paying $75+ in cell phone bills (limit 3x). I already got $10 back twice, and on the next month's cell phone bill will get another $10 back.

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Of course, you can get both cards if they are both advantageous to you. Or even if not.

LOL. Yup yup.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 5 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

Hmm. benefit. It looks good in my walletSmiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

However, Amex Offers (which you don't list as a beneft) are likely to to be worth more than the difference

+1. Although this is a huge YMMV, Amex frequently offers something that most people can use. Among the current offers (there are about 30 right now) is $10 back when paying $75+ in cell phone bills (limit 3x). I already got $10 back twice, and on the next month's cell phone bill will get another $10 back.

@Themanwhocan wrote:

LOL. Yup yup.

Wow, I had never heard of AmEx Offers. Do you have any other examples? I don't have an AmEx account, so it won't let me view offers Smiley Sad.

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

One I found yesterday. Shoprunner.com free membership for being a cardholder. Normally 79/year. Free two day shipping from all kinds of stores. But the big one for my busy family was free delivery from Dominos. Saves 3 per order!
Message 8 of 30
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

LOL. Yup yup.

Wow, I had never heard of AmEx Offers. Do you have any other examples? I don't have an AmEx account, so it won't let me view offers Smiley Sad.

Swanson Health products. Spend $100 or more,get $20

Ebags.com spend $75 get $15

The offers vary. I sometimes use 2 or 3 offers per year, mainly in December.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 30
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

another example is shop small saturday, spend $10 at 3 diferent local companies and get $30 credit per card, even AU cards can get in on the deal. 

I have seen deals for whole foods, bestbuy, mortons steak house, to name a few others. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.