cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Best" Credit Cards I Should Be Shooting For?

tag
Subsignal
Established Member

"Best" Credit Cards I Should Be Shooting For?

Hi, I just wanted some opinions of what a few of the best credit cards with high limits are that I should be shooting for.

I've heard Sapphire Chase and Discover were very good but I want a large goal. I've seen people with cards that eventually got their limits to $25,000, even $30,000 and above.

I am wondering what these cards are?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: "Best" Credit Cards I Should Be Shooting For?

Limits are more of function of the person's credit file and not necessarily the credit card.  There are cards (think VISA SIG) that require a minimum CL (credit limit) but those are around $5k and those that tend to be low limit cards (think starter cards).  But the reality is that most card's limits are basically based on the person.  And remember a high credit score doesn't mean a high limit, but just that the person is likely to get a higher limit if they want it.

If you want to build your limits, you want to read through this forum on which card issuers are more generous with credit limits or have great policies for growing CLs.  If you are proactive in managing your credit and growing your CL, you will be surprised how fast you can grow them.  For example, AMEX has some of the most generous CLI policies with 3X CLI requests available frequently and all SP based.  Chase has terrible CLI policies with HPs required with no rules of thumb to follow, but I have found them agressive with intial CLs.

As to which cards are the "best," you really need to be more specific.  If you mean to grow your CLs, I would highly recommend an AMEX revolver as soon as you can qualify.  If you mean rewards, you need to tell us what you are looking for.  If you mean which cards are the coolest, most prestigious, etc.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 10
roastbeans
New Contributor

Any of the CCs you mentioned above will give you the limit you want,except you'd have to disclose your financial info to them.

Message 3 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@roastbeans wrote:

Any of the CCs you mentioned above will give you the limit you want,except you'd have to disclose your financial info to them.

Roast,

What do you mean by disclose financial information?  Every lender/card issuer asks you how much you make and permission to pull credit file.

Message 4 of 10
Subsignal
Established Member

Thank you very much. I suppose "best" is all relative. I suppose the cards that will give you the best limits with the best credit limit increases while having the least credit score to get it and if possible, not disclosing financial information. Thanks again! : ]

Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Subsignal wrote:

Thank you very much. I suppose "best" is all relative. I suppose the cards that will give you the best limits with the best credit limit increases while having the least credit score to get it and if possible, not disclosing financial information. Thanks again! : ]

You make it sound like limit is the most important thing.   Why?     Many people with high-limit cards use only a small fraction of the CL (I just put $12K on my $32K CSP, but that is an exception due to central air replacement, usually the max is more like $2k).  If you plan to use a lot of the limit, APR becomes important, and otherwise I would think rewards are much more critical.

Message 6 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

OP,

It is a very fluid situation.  Basically you get good credit and then look around for "best" cards at the time you have the good credit.  Things change often.  Right now, my opinion is that AMEX revolvers are among the best to build up your CLs quickly.  But are AMEXs easy to get?  No, AMEX requires good credit.

So if you want useful advice (ie advice you can act on), I would suggest you outline more details on your credit and financial situation and you will get more specific advice.

Message 7 of 10
Subsignal
Established Member

Hi, you are right. I am sorry. My credit is NOT good right now. Without going into my life story too much, basically, I trashed my credit years ago. I am young. 26 now. at just 20 years old I had a $5,000 and $3,000 mastercard and visa so I thought I was doing well as well as a bunch of store cards. Anyway, I go to Kay Jewelers last month and apply for credit and get a $1,000 limit and I was blown away because I thought I was going to be denied. My credit score is only 564 right now so it kind of boggles me. I'm not a dummy when it comes to credit, just credit CARDS, lol. I used to be a mortgage broker so I know credit very well and how to use it. I was approved for my Kay card August 27th last month. Before that, I have not even touched a credit card since February of 2008. So over 5 years. I also got a secured capital one card with a 200 limit for 49 dollars. So I have those 2 cards right now. I also set up a secured installment loan at my credit union of $500 dollars. I am just going to pay them back with their own money over the course of 12 months. The interest rate is only 1.8%, lol. Which is nothing. So I think I am doing a good job thus far but I don't feel I should apply for any more credit right now for a good 4-6 months. That is my situation, lol. I was just asking what good cards I should SHOOT for. I can't get them yet, lol. Thank you. : ]

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Then I strongly agree with Crashem, in even a few months "great" cards can become "good" or lower (BCP, US Bank Cash Plus, Penfed) and new attractive cards come on the scene (e.g. for some, Barclay's Arrival).   So while some general themes *might* remain, such as Amex having a good SP CLI process leading to generous limits for many, it makes sense to wait to evaluate the scene when you (and your scores!) are ready.

Message 9 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Then I strongly agree with Crashem, in even a few months "great" cards can become "good" or lower (BCP, US Bank Cash Plus, Penfed) and new attractive cards come on the scene (e.g. for some, Barclay's Arrival).   So while some general themes *might* remain, such as Amex having a good SP CLI process leading to generous limits for many, it makes sense to wait to evaluate the scene when you (and your scores!) are ready.

Damn you longtimelurker.  You basically outlined my card portfolio with your great to good card list Smiley Happy.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.