Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Consolation Prize" Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Consolation Prize" Cards

This may already exist here but I couldn't find it. Is there a list of issuers that, if you apply for one of their cards but don't qualify, they will offer you a different card?

Do they do this if you apply for a MC/Visa co-branded card but don't qualify and then they offer you the store card? For example, Amazon Visa says no but here have our Amazon store card as a consolation prize? That may be a bad example because I think Amazon Visa is Chase and store card is GE. Or you can't have the Amex Platinum but you can have the green.

Does that ever happen? Can we make a list of those? Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: "Consolation Prize" Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

This may already exist here but I couldn't find it. Is there a list of issuers that, if you apply for one of their cards but don't qualify, they will offer you a different card?

Do they do this if you apply for a MC/Visa co-branded card but don't qualify and then they offer you the store card? For example, Amazon Visa says no but here have our Amazon store card as a consolation prize? That may be a bad example because I think Amazon Visa is Chase and store card is GE. Or you can't have the Amex Platinum but you can have the green.

Does that ever happen? Can we make a list of those? Thanks!

Not Amazon but Macy's Amex will offer just store, Walmart will just offer store...

Ashley Furniture has a secondary finance company if you apply in store and don't qualify for GE but it pops up and you have to apply for the 2nd one it doesn't just instantly offer it.

then of course the higher end cards may have signature on $5k+ approvals and just platinum on approvals below $5k which may or may not have lesser reward bonus or higher APR's

Message 2 of 29
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

WalMart is the worse.  I never would have applied for the store card and wound up closing it a few months after getting it.

Message 3 of 29
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Sears will offer the Barclays card instead. So if you dont qualify with Citi, occasionally Barclays will offer the card with or without an AF
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wacdenney - same thing. My Walmart Store Card saw one month and closed.
Message 5 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

Apped the paypal extras MasterCard. They gave me pay pal smart connect with a business debit card. What debit card???  But you use like normal credit card. If I sell on ebay. Can take cash out of ATM.  I think it's better than cad I apped for.  

Message 6 of 29
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

WalMart is the worse.  I never would have applied for the store card and wound up closing it a few months after getting it.

walmart store has no AF, and gives you a free monthly TU fico score, and frequent CLI's with use, no reason to close it, and can graduate to the MC version in a year or two. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 29
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

walmart store has no AF, and gives you a free monthly TU fico score, and frequent CLI's with use, no reason to close it, and can graduate to the MC version in a year or two. 

I get a TU score from Barclay and why would I ever use it, it offers no rewards at all.  Not even a discount!

Message 8 of 29
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

ebay mastercard and paypal smart connect. I applied for the ebay mastercard back in February they gave me the stupid smart connect card. Only good part about the card is the cli every 4 months. no rewards, no apr discount like BML, and a terrible website. What a pos that card is, oh wait its not even a card its a piece of paper!!

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 9 of 29
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I get a TU score from Barclay and why would I ever use it, it offers no rewards at all.  Not even a discount!

i agree the walmart card is very weak even if you get the mastercard verison. sams is much better. I would not reccomend the target credit card but the debit card is great for the instant 5% off, i have saved so much money with it. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.