Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Destroy the dominant US subprime credit card business model"

tag
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

"Destroy the dominant US subprime credit card business model"

"Subrprime consumers will find unsecured revolving credit almost impossible to come by"

Looks as if HSBC's Orchard/Household products, First Premier Bank, and CreditOne may become extinct: 

CompuCredit on the ropes

Message Edited by pazuzu on 01-22-2009 01:25 PM

edited URL --hauling
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-22-2009 03:29 PM

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: "Destroy the dominant US subprime credit card business model"

That could kill the very most subprime that give you 50% fees on the new card.  I think that is a good thing, people don't need a tradeline that bad.  Banks like Orchard with a $75 fee on a $300 limit are right at that 25% fee limit that is mentioned in the article.  All they have to do is start giving $350 limits instead of $300 and they qualify OK.  So I think the Orchard level and above will not have to change much, the very bottom feeders like Aspire, Tribute, First Premier will have to adjust more. I agree with the changes, it won't really be limiting peoples ability to rebuild, those cards allowed people with super bad credit to create positive tradelines but they also created a lot of bad tradelines with all their fees that people sometimes had problems with.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats what secured cards are for. I'd rather have them than pay those crummy fees every month.  

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed Pappy!

I used to get offers from banks like that with outrageous fees! I would definately rather have a secured card than pay $125 in fees. Granted my Cap One has a $39 yearly fee attached to it but that is nothing compared to these crazy fees!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.