Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fake" activity on credit cards?

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: "Fake" activity on credit cards?

as macy's is generally way overpriced i would buy and return myself...then again i participate in activities which a lot deem to be bad ideas with credit cards..

Message 11 of 26
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@TatorTodd wrote:

I havent used my Macy's card since 11/13, and really dont plan on using it anymore as they will not up my minimal limit, and I really dont shop there.  I got this to start credit history.  I would like to keep it just due to the length its been open.  If i go purchase things, then return them maybe a week or 2 later, would they see this as activity, or do they notice the returns? Or am I just better off buying needed socks and whatnot there every once in awhile? Thanks everyone

Technically, yes, it's activity.  But it's already too much effort to go to the store, it seems like an unreallistic solution.

Do Xmas shopping there.  Or buy some needed basics every now and again.  Or yes, order something online.  You don't need to use it too often just to generate activity.

Here you go:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/holiday-lane-babys-1st-christmas-bear-in-bootie-ornament?ID=96257...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 26
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@TatorTodd wrote:

I havent used my Macy's card since 11/13, and really dont plan on using it anymore as they will not up my minimal limit, and I really dont shop there.  I got this to start credit history.  I would like to keep it just due to the length its been open.  If i go purchase things, then return them maybe a week or 2 later, would they see this as activity, or do they notice the returns? Or am I just better off buying needed socks and whatnot there every once in awhile? Thanks everyone

Yeah, Just buy something small. It's best that way.

Message 13 of 26
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

@TatorTodd wrote:

If you aren't going to use it anymore - either SD it or just close it.  It will remain on your CR for ~10 years as a positive TL.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not have socks someone else bought and stored for a few weeks, just to return them because they wanted to work on their credit Smiley Happy

Several other cards in the sock drawer. A few late payments that are legit from a few years ago. I may get motivated while in the garden to contend with Synchrony and try to get a good will deletion. Utilization and inquiries are my main score dings. I tend to sit in the 650-680 range most of the time because I love hitting "apply" buttons.
Message 14 of 26
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@TatorTodd wrote:

I like the sock idea. Ask yourself if keeping the card is worth a $20 purchase of something you will actually use. Everyone needs socks and undies dawg. Personally, if it were my oldest trade line, I'd drop a twinkie spot to keep it open and active.

I feel your pain though.

Message 15 of 26
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

In extreme cases some stores blacklist shoppers who return too much (I know Sephora does this, not sure about Macy's). That issue aside, it just seems like a waste of your time. I don't think store credit cards need as frequent activity as 'regular' credit cards, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it were me, I would just try to use it every 4-6 months or so. There's always holiday shopping, birthday gifts, socks.. Smiley Happy

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 16 of 26
gh17
Frequent Contributor

I understand your situation; I just made myself spend $20 with a store card I hadn't used in a year to keep it open.  However, that was at a store I do like and do plan to shop at in the future - it's just that I don't really need anything from there right now.

Since Macy's does have stuff like socks and underwear, you could probably find something on clearance that would be worth having.

Purchasing and returning before the bill came would appear as $0 of use on your credit report, I think.  If you purchase something towards the end of your bill cycle, then return after the bill comes, that might work.  Your goal here is mainly just to keep Macy's from closing your card though, so it doesn't really matter if it shows up on your credit report.  I think so long as they have to send you a bill, it will probably count as use.

Everyone always says, "just use every 4 or 5 months," but honestly it seems silly to go buy something you don't need or want that often, even if it's cheap.  I think you can probably stretch it longer than that, and I'd try to find something you'll actually make use of.  It's a department store, not a specialty store, so you'll probably find something.  Worst case, the returning thing will probably work though.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 17 of 26
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@JustMe77 wrote:

In extreme cases some stores blacklist shoppers who return too much (I know Sephora does this, not sure about Macy's). That issue aside, it just seems like a waste of your time. I don't think store credit cards need as frequent activity as 'regular' credit cards, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it were me, I would just try to use it every 4-6 months or so. There's always holiday shopping, birthday gifts, socks.. Smiley Happy

Target does this too. You have to show your drivers liscense when you return something and I've seen people turned away for returning too much. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 18 of 26
TatorTodd
Regular Contributor

Thanks again everyone for the comments.  Looks like i'll be buying a sweet little bear in the boot ornament for Aunt Evelyn Smiley Tongue

NCFU Flagship(80k) DC Elite (40k) Cash Sapphire Preferred(38k) DC Premier (30k) NFCU CashRewards (25k) USAA Amex (22k) USAA MasterCard (16k) Barclay Arrival+ Elite (15k) Nordstrom (15k) BofA Rewards (12.5k) 4 Amices (50k)

As of 10/13/14
Experian: 787 - EquiFax: 798 - TU: 789
Message 19 of 26
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I had a Macys card from 2011-2014. Last activity was in 2012. I never got CLD'd but I did eventually close it because the card served no purpose for me anymore. It was one of my oldest tradelines but...I had other cards that served a much better purpose. If you don't need it, SD it or close it. There's no point in charging something to return it two weeks later to keep a card open.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.