Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fico's Most talked about or #1 Credit Card"

tag
Cory
Established Contributor

"Fico's Most talked about or #1 Credit Card"

What is the most talk about CC on FICO?

Seems like American Express has been holding down the #1 spot for more than 5 years in my experiences. On every page there is an AMEX thread. To me it looks like 1. AMEX 2. Bank of America/Chase, 3. Capital One, 4. Discover and 5. Citibank. Capital One & Citibank was extremely popular on here 2 or 3 years ago holding the #2 spot, then BofA emerged to #2 within the last year. But in large, AMEX keeps winning the nominations in every catagory. IDK, what do you guys think.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Fico's Most talked about or #1 Credit Card"

AMEX does a good job of maintaining this image of being THE card. I know it's pulled me in. It almost has somewhat of a legacy to it. I'm giddy with excitement waiting in excitement for my AU additional cardholder AMEX zync hoping with a few months of high spending and paying frequently and in full they'll offer me my own.

Message 2 of 41
CS800
Super Contributor

Maybe it's just me but when I think the Elite of Elite Cards out there for the common person (Black AMEX excluded), The AMEX Platinum comes to mind.

So IMHO, the number 1 prime card to have would be an AMEX. Although I'm sure other cards have more advantages. It's all about the brand recognition.

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

Maybe it's just me but when I think the Elite of Elite Cards out there for the common person (Black AMEX excluded), The AMEX Platinum comes to mind.

So IMHO, the number 1 prime card to have would be an AMEX. Although I'm sure other cards have more advantages. It's all about the brand recognition.

I agree completely. There are many cards with less annual fee and better rewards than AMEX but I mean paying for a girl's drink at a bar with an AMEX platinum almost makes a statement (superficial I know) but for younger people like myself AMEX just says you're doing well financially even if that's not the case.

Message 4 of 41
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

doing well and knowing it is what really matters, not the card you carry has been a mantra for me. As my dad says, its not about flashing the card, its about knowing you have the ability to buy everyone a drink in the place if you wanted to. Or buy the whole bar if you wanted to Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 41
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

I think AMEX is "The holy Grail" for many on these forums, 95% of it is the prestige of carrying one of their cards which is AMEX's legacy, perhaps worth a little less than it used to but you do get other advantages with their cards such as superior customer service and the additional card member benefits which of course in essence you are really paying for via the Annual Fee. 

I recently moved my entire spend from mainly debit to entirely credit as I was sick and tired of having to babysit my bank account just in case I spent a few dollars over what I had in my checking account and was charged an excessive fee to overdraft from my savings account, an AMEX charge card fixed the problem as it has no preset spending limit and allows me to float my balances until the end of the month where I PIF, My balances get to sit in my bank account accruing interest during that time for this purpose alone I think an AMEX card is an ideal solution.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 41
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

I'd say Amex , after reading these forums for awhile I wanted and did join the Amex club, thanks to these forums. Without all the help and great reads here, not sure I'd have it otherwise

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 41
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I agree completely. There are many cards with less annual fee and better rewards than AMEX but I mean paying for a girl's drink at a bar with an AMEX platinum almost makes a statement (superficial I know) but for younger people like myself AMEX just says you're doing well financially even if that's not the case.

Pacman do you have an AMEX? I do agree with you that with the young population (i include myself in the younger people category) it's a great perk. You go out in Boston to the pubs and restaurants and see a lot of the yuppies as I would call them flip out hte AMEX; mostly the green or gold one.

But it's as you said the prestige of an AMEX. I wonder if having an AMEX helps when it comes to a lender, creditor or even another card company in terms of getting another card? Assuming you have a decent score etc.

Message 8 of 41
CS800
Super Contributor

So for you guys on here, what AMEX do you carry?

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pacman do you have an AMEX? I do agree with you that with the young population (i include myself in the younger people category) it's a great perk. You go out in Boston to the pubs and restaurants and see a lot of the yuppies as I would call them flip out hte AMEX; mostly the green or gold one.

But it's as you said the prestige of an AMEX. I wonder if having an AMEX helps when it comes to a lender, creditor or even another card company in terms of getting another card? Assuming you have a decent score etc.

I am additional cardholder on my fiance's Zync (she has great credit). With her score though I'm thinking of us trying for gold Smiley Wink wish us luck but i have to convince her first -_-.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.