Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fico's Most talked about or #1 Credit Card"

tag
winstars
Regular Contributor

Re: "Fico's Most talked about or #1 Credit Card"

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree the AMEX has a certain prestige to it. I'm in the Midwest but a few weeks ago my cousin came in from LA and when we went to a restaurant with tight seating he asked if we could just show them our AMEX cards...I had to reply that it didn't really work here and the fact that I knew the owners/bartender was going to get us further.

I have noticed that when I travel to Chicago or NYC and open a tab with the plat card I get much better service than those around me. One is certainly not trying to impress the pay-at-the-pump or the cc terminal at Target. However, in situations with direct customer service like bars, restaurants and hotels a nice pair of shoes and and a platinum amex which has a reputation for big spending will get you somewhere.

So it's talked about because it has perks other than the ones listed in the terms and conditions. It's also talked about because they have stringent membership requirements. When they send you a card you get a feeling of having your credit pulled together.  

Nice shoes and a Platinum Card ehhh, I will make a note of that...

On my way to the shoe store!!!!!!!!  See ya

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 41
CS800
Super Contributor

Wolf3, so even if your application has been approved they ask you fortax returns? Or do they ask you these before they approve you?

Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently I think it goes to Chase Freedom or AMEX BCE/BCP for those with "excellent" credit.

Message 23 of 41
CS800
Super Contributor

I wonder what kind of credit scores one need to be approved for an AMEX platinum.

Message 24 of 41
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Orchard is one of the top cards talked about. Obviously not the most desired, but just going back 3 pages it is one thing after another about Orchard/HSBC.

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely I think AMEX is one of the most prestigious cards if you're talking about the Platinum or Black Card.   I've had a Platinum card for many years but I didn't get one to impress girls that I was buying drinks for..lol.   I got it because of the great benefits and customer service.

I travel quite a bit and save a fortune declining ALL of the coverages renting a car.  They will literally pay for a car if you total it. Plus include medical liability and pretty much everything else.   Also, amazing benefits for flights that are canceled or delayed or even if your baggage is delayed they will pay for items that you buy.

When you travel, they cover so many things with NO hassles at all covering you.  My kids had an accident where I had to call 911 and ambulance had to come to the house.   AMEX paid for literally everything.  No questions asked.   Ambulance was $600, emergency room visit was $1,000+, doctor's bill was $600+.   They didn't even

blink. They just said to send them all the bills and they took care of it.

I got assigned a case manager after the incident and they called the hospital the next day and arranged to send all the bills to them.   It was amazing.

Plus, you get access to several Airline club lounges free with the Platinum card.  It's worth the annual $500 fee!  Anyone that travels definitely should look into the AMEX Platinum card. I'm a big fan after seeing how great they are with emergencies.   There is literally a membership book with all of the services they offer.

They are the best.   2 years ago I was offered a Centurion Card (Black Card) if I wanted it but I simply couldn't justify the $2,500 annual fee.  But the $500 annual fee for the Platinum card is well worth it with all the benefits.

In my book, AMEX will always be the best out there.

Message 26 of 41
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

So for you guys on here, what AMEX do you carry?

Green -- backdated 24 years!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 27 of 41
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@barbaralee wrote:

Orchard is one of the top cards talked about. Obviously not the most desired, but just going back 3 pages it is one thing after another about Orchard/HSBC.

Probably because of HSBC selling their credit cards. It became a hot topic because it's newsworthy. Agreed about it not being the most desired.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 28 of 41
drkaje
Senior Contributor

An AMEX used to mean someone really had their financial crap together. The image has become pretty watered down with so many products now.

I have a Delta and it's OK. Had a gold and didn't really need it anymore. If I ever really start to travel more another Amex would make sense. They really will take exceptional care of you should something go wrong with a hotel booking, car rental or whatever.

The annual fee isn't a deal-breaker, but the B&N membership is a better value for my lifestyle. My kids read a lot! Between 10% off, coupons, and Chase's 1% back it ends up being a pretty good deal.

I do find it kinda odd that some are offended by annual or maintenance fees from credit cards but will trip over themselves to get an Amex for the "I've arrived" moment. I won't BS anyone, though. There were quite a few situations where it was painfully obvious people were going the extra mile after being presented with a gold card. Really silly (if you ask me) because cash is probably a more reliable sign of someone's stuff being together.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

An AMEX used to mean someone really had their financial crap together. The image has become pretty watered financial crap together. The down with so many products now.

I have a Delta and it's OK. Had a gold and didn't really need it anymore. If I ever really start to travel more another Amex would make sense. They really will take exceptional care of you should something go wrong with a hotel booking, car rental or whatever.

The annual fee isn't a deal-breaker, but the B&N membership is a better value for my lifestyle. My kids read a lot! Between 10% off, coupons, and Chase's 1% back it ends up being a pretty good deal.

I do find it kinda odd that some are offended by annual or maintenance fees from credit cards but will trip over themselves to get an Amex for the "I've arrived" moment. I won't BS anyone, though. There were quite a few situations where it was painfully obvious people were going the extra mile after being presented with a gold card. Really silly (if you ask me) because cash is probably a more reliable sign of someone's stuff being together.

I agree, but I'm glad they did because I don't think they would've taken me if they had their standards from years ago.  AMEX, like all other businesses, probably realized they had to do something to get the business of the average (well, kind of, amex is still picky) person.

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.