cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Force" lender to pull specific CB by freezing other 2.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Force" lender to pull specific CB by freezing other 2.

I have heard of this being accomplished, freezing 2/3 & asking the UW to pull a specific CB, but have found very little information on it.  My FICO's are fine across the board, 0 late's, 0 derog's, 0 PR's, ect.  I want to do this because B* is so easy with TU, using CK & CCT daily.  I'm trying to keep inq's to a minimum since I plan on buying a house soon, but I want some high-limit Prime cards before I do.  All I have is a $1000 Crap1 card they refuse to CLI, the rest are store charge cards.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,

Aly

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: "Force" lender to pull specific CB by freezing other 2.

You can do that, it has been pulled by many but the success rate is completely dependent on the mood of the creditor to go along with it. They are not required and could legally refuse your application based on that restriction. You can always try but there is absolutely not guarantee you will achieve what you want. Hope that helps.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Guardian
Valued Contributor

You can do that, it has been pulled by many but the success rate is completely dependent on the mood of the creditor to go along with it. They are not required and could legally refuse your application based on that restriction. You can always try but there is absolutely not guarantee you will achieve what you want. Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Guardian!  Hopefully, I should be able to sweet-talk my way past the CSR & get them to pull TU.  I can just see the opportunities, if only I could get everyone to pull TU...  2-3 new 10K+ TL's, & the INQ's gone in 1 1/2 months.  I could sock-drawer my old CRAP1 card tomorrow.  Wishful thinking, but I will give it a shot!

Thanks again,

Aly

Message 3 of 22
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Its always worth a shot, will keep my fingers crossed for you, let us know how it goes.

Message 4 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

I would not do it.    Unless you are a victim of ID theft, you could be shuting down opertunities for new credit via pre-approvals.

After I finished my DMP, I was afraid to apply for a credit card until I got a pre-approval letter from National City which I took.

Yes pre-approvals dont mean approved but you nenver know and if you are seeking new credit, you should keep all doors open.

These days with credit hard to come by, I wouldn't close any door. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I can also see a possibility that once approved via TU, they can now soft the other two --I'm pretty sure that as a creditor, they have the right to soft you. *ducks under table, anticipating lots of posts saying this isn't so*

If you have stinkers on the other two that show up when they're softed, that new account might not stay open very long, or it might have its CL dropped to lower than what you already have.

What's bad on EQ and EX that you don't want them to be pulled?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

boobsandbrains -

I did this by accident.  My EQ file was locked when I applied for a high end Capital One  Rewards card which requires excellent credit.  They generally check all three CRA's.  Because my EQ was locked, they hit only TU and EX.  They approved my card anyway without comment, but then again my scores are high, so had they been lower, maybe they would have declined or possibly my granted limit will be affected.

Anyway, it worked there, but when I apped to a CU, they only wanted EQ, so I had to unlock before they could/would process.

Generally large institutions have a system, and the chances of getting them to change that system for you is a roll of the dice.

Message 7 of 22
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I am interested to see how this goes.  I had actually been considering freezing EX because I find it offensive and a violation of sorts that I am not allowed to see my own score as lenders see it.  I have a 1 year new auto loan and new mortgage, so it's not like I need to app for anything anyway...just haven't gotten up the nerve to do it yet.
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 8 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum, boobsANDbrains!

I don't have a clue one way or the other if locking will help you, but you get my Kudos for your screen name and sig!

You're a trip, Aly! :smileyvery-happy:

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Locking your credit file(s) will not necessarily hurt you.  It may cause the lender to request you to unlock or it may cause a decline.  However, if they decline....you did not get an INQ on the frozen files....but possibly did on the unlocked.

When I app'ed PenFed, they came back and specifically said "Give us the PIN to EQ or tell EQ to unlock for us"

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.