Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Make Your Move" American Express Prepaid

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: "Make Your Move" American Express Prepaid

I just wanted the $25 gift card, LOL!

My daughter is pretty frugal (when it comes to her money) so $50 should last at least her a week. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 121 of 137
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

That just doesn't fit with where I am now: I have around 1K of extra expenses that I really should get sometime this year, but I'm just not a big spender compared to most people, and I know that doesn't help with my Amex chances... so I'm just leading with my strong suit, namely that I rack up a bunch of little transactions all the time.  Unfortunately in any relationship one can only play the cards one has... though on that front, if I actually went looking for non-financial relationships, I'd probably increase my spending enough to make me look more attractive to Amex too.  Extra bonus? Smiley Wink

I'd be interested in seeing that quote too if you can find it, I don't have time to look right now unfortunately, maybe later today.

I don't have any evidence of this, but I suspect "where" you buy things to have some relevance in their datamining almost as much as the amount you spend.  

For example, a good strategy would be to frequent establishments often associated with their higher spenders.  Instead of buying a sandwich at Subways, instead buy it from Nieman Marcus's sandwich shop.  Instead of coffee from Denny's, have it at Nordstroms.  It seems to me they like to correlate certain sets of behavior with others often associated in the same geographic location, and places where you frequent.

I say for sure if the above is true, but I suspect every issuer has these models.  AmEx I'd wager places more emphasis on using them than others.

They may like this, but i'm not spending more money for something I can get cheaper somewhere else on a prepaid card!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 122 of 137
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
They may like this, but i'm not spending more money for something I can get cheaper somewhere else on a prepaid card!

Sure, not sure I would pay more for the same product.

Where I am, a cup of coffee is actually better and cheaper at Nordstrom than Starbucks.  A sandwich at the Nieman Cafe is only a few dollars more than Subway, but 10 times better.

In my estimation, if it's the same price, I'd buy at the more "prestigious" establishment.

Edit - PS - Just loaded my prepaids, and says it takes up to 5 days?

Message 123 of 137
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@daisydvm wrote:
+1

excellent post!

Never heard of someone getting in with AMEX with a BK here yet, although it may have happened.

There are actually a few people on this site that claim to have gotten an AMEX with a BK reporting. From what I remember, the BK was at least 7 years old before they were approved.

I'm one of them. It was a Chapter 7 back in 2002, so it was still on my record last February when I applied for an AMEX Clear. I was approved. As an added twist, AMEX was included in my bankruptcy to the tune of around $4500. I currently hold a Clear with $5000 CL, Blue Cash Preferred at $4500 CL, and a NPSL Zync.

Message 124 of 137
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

@daisydvm wrote:
+1

excellent post!

Never heard of someone getting in with AMEX with a BK here yet, although it may have happened.

There are actually a few people on this site that claim to have gotten an AMEX with a BK reporting. From what I remember, the BK was at least 7 years old before they were approved.

I'm one of them. It was a Chapter 7 back in 2002, so it was still on my record last February when I applied for an AMEX Clear. I was approved. As an added twist, AMEX was included in my bankruptcy to the tune of around $4500. I currently hold a Clear with $5000 CL, Blue Cash Preferred at $4500 CL, and a NPSL Zync.

Congrats!!! Maybe AMEX forgets after a decade!!! (Or you slipped through thr cracks Smiley Very Happy)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 125 of 137
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@LS,

It would be illegal for Amex to ask for repayment of funds included in a BK.

OASIS is likely only available for those with an old CO.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 126 of 137
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

Card came today ....looks great....except for prepaid stamped on it

Message 127 of 137
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:
Card came today ....looks great....except for prepaid stamped on it

Yea i'm not fond of that..................

I kinda stopped using mine, I hate the wait time for reloads.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 128 of 137
smokiethebear912
Established Member

@LS2982 wrote:
I kinda stopped using mine, I hate the wait time for reloads.

+1

Starting Scores: EQ MYFICO (05-12-09) 430 / TU MYFICO (12-14-09) 521
Current Scores: EX USAA PLUS 607 / EQ MYFICO 656 / TU98 MYFICO 664 / TU08 FICO WALMART 648 / CreditKarma TU TransRisk 586 / TU VANTAGE 645
Goal Scores: 700+

Message 129 of 137
GoingTo800
Contributor

Oasis is for bk also I believe. They can do it because they are not asking you to repay, you are doing it by choice. Bk prevents them from attempting to collect but does not prevent them from accepting your payments
Equifax Feb 2012 690
TU Feb 2012 720
Message 130 of 137
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.