Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Next move" card suggestions? ('02 BK)

tag
tatiana
Contributor

"Next move" card suggestions? ('02 BK)

Hi everybody.  I'm trying to decide which card I should be aiming for next, if any.  This is where I'm at:

Ten years of credit history.

TU PFICO 759

TU FICO 720

EQ FICO 714

EX FICO 735

Open Accounts, all in good standing:

(Updated with account changes on 1/26/09 to avoid confusion)

WaMu Plat MC $10,500 CL @ 9.99% APR - Soon to become Chase/hoping to convert to Freedom

Chase MC $1000 CL @9.99% APR - Basic rewards card

GeMB Chevron $2000 CL

Macy*s card $1200 CL

Car loan - now less than 50%

I don't usually carry any balances, except maybe a small overlap on the gas card.

I do have a 2002 BK still on my reports.  

Given what I already have, what should be my next move?  I don't really need more credit from a practical standpoint, but I suspect it might be a good idea to diversify my Chase/WaMu-heavy card collection.  

What would you recommend?

Thanks.  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by tatiana on 10-06-2008 01:47 PM
Message Edited by tatiana on 01-26-2009 01:36 AM
Message Edited by tatiana on 01-26-2009 01:37 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------

Might as well change my surname to Morgan-Chase.
Closed on my crazy midcentury home in July, 2012! Thanks, FHA!
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: "Next move" card suggestions?

if you don't have practical use maybe sit tight and let bk drop...otherwise, a CU card would probably be a perfect addition to your roster.  most cu's pull eq but not all.  in ny for example the ones i've looked at (mcu, nyu) pull ex (nice scores, by the way, looks like that bk being 6+ years old is not harming your score as much at all)

given your proclivity to PIF amex may be worth a look but know what you're getting into with them B4 apping; they are playing rough these days.  Discover may be a nice mix if you like any of their card offerings, but i am not really sure if either discover or amex are BK friendly.  boa and citi have some really decent cards too.  boa is a typically generous lender that receives a lot of very positive reviews from forum members.  i love boa, they have been v. good to me.  with your scores you may have your pick pretty much, with the proviso of bk friendliness which you may want to include in the title of your thread although it is quite old so may not be as big a factor.  Good work and GL!

Message Edited by score_building on 10-06-2008 02:03 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Bank of America

Us Bank

Message 3 of 24
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Credit Unions. PenFed, Patelco, Alliant, Nasa, Justice, Navy, Digital, Addison etc.

Bank of America Accelerated Rewards Amex.

Good Luck.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 24
tatiana
Contributor

Thanks for the advice, guys!

score_building, you picked up on my amex vibe; I've been considering them for awhile now, but the BK issue and the fact that they've been spazzing on people made me wonder if it would be worth the hard pull at this point.  Does anybody have any hard evidence that bankruptcies will kill an amex app?  If that's likely, I won't bother with them until the BK falls off the face of the earth.  

The credit union card idea sounds good; I'll have to check into those suggestions.

I have wondered about the BofA cards...but since my BK included an MBNA card, I am wary...should I be?  Do they hold grudges?  

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

AMEX IS NOT an option with BK.

you can do the pre-qual form at bofa to check to see if you qualify for anything, not sure i would waste inq. if your not pre-qual.

Message 6 of 24
tatiana
Contributor

Creditaddict, I checked the BofA preapproval thingy and nothing came up - prolly a good idea to hold off on an official app whilst I ruminate the other options.  Thanks for the amex info.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 24
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Did you opt-out? If you did you would not get any offer.

@tatiana wrote:
Creditaddict, I checked the BofA preapproval thingy and nothing came up - prolly a good idea to hold off on an official app whilst I ruminate the other options.  Thanks for the amex info.  Smiley Very Happy

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 8 of 24
tatiana
Contributor

I don't remember opting out, but it's possible I'm just not remembering correctly.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

tat, you could get AMEX Charge Card as a AU thru either DH or DW.  thats what my plan are. I am gonna try to convince my father to issue me an AMEX Charge Card because I do not want to waste any INQ for next 7 years for AMEX since I did some researching on this awesome site!
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.