Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Open" Target Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Open" Target Card

Hi there:

I have a Target card that is listed as open -- but I'm not so sure it is.  I haven't used it since 2003.  It has 0 credit limit, 0 balance, 0 past due.  The DLA is 4/2003 which is also the DLP.  The Date Reported is 4/2004 and the Date Opened is 8/2001.  I called once when I was about to go to professional school from undergrad to see if it was open, and I don't think they said it was.  Is this having any sort of adverse actions on my FICO or is it neutral, or positive?  Should I note that in my EQ dispute, call Target?  Or just leave it be?

EDITED:  Actually I have TWO Target cards listed just as I stated above.  The only difference is the date reported on the second listing is 7/2006.  What should I do, or not do with this listing too!  Thanks!

Thanks!

Message Edited by hollinsprincess on 07-02-2009 02:40 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: "Open" Target Card

I'd go online at Target.com and find some thingy that you wouldn't mind owning. Enter the CC info from each card on the payment screen and see if they are accepted. If they are, cancel out (unless you actually want the thingy.) If not, call up CS and say that your card info didn't go through, and can they check on their end. Don't tell them that you think that they're closed, and don't tell them how long it has been since you used them. If they appear to be closed, and you want one (go for the older one!) to remain open, ask if there's something they can do to reinstate it with the original opening date <--this is important; don't bother if they can't.

That's probably the best way to determine the actual status of the cards.

And do realize that if they show up as definitely closed, you might trigger a change in their reporting status to "closed", causing them to eventually fall off your reports and lose their history, so think about what you actually want to accomplish before stirring the ant hill.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Open" Target Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there:

I have a Target card that is listed as open -- but I'm not so sure it is.  I haven't used it since 2003.  It has 0 credit limit, 0 balance, 0 past due.  The DLA is 4/2003 which is also the DLP.  The Date Reported is 4/2004 and the Date Opened is 8/2001.  I called once when I was about to go to professional school from undergrad to see if it was open, and I don't think they said it was.  Is this having any sort of adverse actions on my FICO or is it neutral, or positive?  Should I note that in my EQ dispute, call Target?  Or just leave it be?

EDITED:  Actually I have TWO Target cards listed just as I stated above.  The only difference is the date reported on the second listing is 7/2006.  What should I do, or not do with this listing too!  Thanks!

Thanks!

Message Edited by hollinsprincess on 07-02-2009 02:40 PM

If I were you, I would leave it alone.  These are helping your AAoA.  They don't help utilization, but don't hurt either.  If you begin asking questions, the accounts may be updated and then they will drop 10 years from close.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.