Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Pushing" payments to AMEX

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

"Pushing" payments to AMEX

I have a big balance for my upcoming statement and i'd like to pay some down before it closes. I found the electronic info needed for my CU, about how long does it take to process??

The payment from the bank will be done electronically not mailed. I would be submitting it on the 16th, statement closes on the 18th. Think it'll post before it closes?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: "Pushing" payments to AMEX

Depends on the CU and when Amex credits.  I think this will be tight.  ACH pushes frequently take more than a day.

Message 2 of 17
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

If you look on the CU page, they should state when the payment will arrive. Typically, I think eloectronic payments post the next day.

So, you should be safe with this plan.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 3 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Can't you just set it up on your profile, and pay it that way?

I know I had to call the other day to have a CSR make my payments for me, as the website would not allow as it said "No balance due at this time" despite having a balance, although not technically "due" - so they pushed the payment for me right away, then sent me letters thanking me for allowing them to make my payments for me - but to try and use electronic methods Smiley Very Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 17
Azumi1
Regular Contributor

I use the Check app on my phone and if I do it early in the morning it posts the same day.

From 566 in 8/2012 to..

EQ 704 /TU 690 / EX 730

Discover IT 6000, Amex BCE 10000, FNBO Amex 3500, Cap 1 platinum 2000, Walmart Discover 5000, Orchard Bank platinum 3000, Best Buy 5000, Merrick Bank 1600, Target Visa 700
Message 5 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

When I push a payment before 1:00 pm EST, it'll show up under "payment history" the following morning, however the amount won't post on my balance until the following day.

Message 6 of 17
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Don't know since you are sending on a fri and statement cuts on Sunday, if possible i would suggest sending on thurs.. I know if I pay via amex site-already setup payment account to pull from my cu- mon-thurs the money is deducted from cu the next day and posted to my amex later that day as well.amex has also been making my pmt amt ava immediately after I submit the payment. Wish they posted rewards as fast. ..
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 7 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I think pushing this payment will not post in time. The Fri-Sun is what's killing the idea IMO. If possible use Amex pull for the 16th or later- that way you know it will be posted on the date you requested.
Message 8 of 17
HiLine
Blogger

Is it possible for you to initiate the payment on the night of the 15th? I think it usually takes 1 business day to post.

Message 9 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Have you tried pay by phone? 800-472-9297. You can set up an account they can pull from and it's pretty much instant. I no longer use this method but when my cards were new it was great. It's automated. 

I am assuming you can't just make a payment using the regular online system with Amex (either because the card is new or you don't want to give Amex your banking info). 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.