Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Shopping Cart Trick" Questions

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

"Shopping Cart Trick" Questions

Thank you to whomever posted the VS trick btw, wouldn't have known & gotten this card otherwise! (wouldn't have apped for it outright). I have a few questions, if anyone knows?

1. I have previously ordered VS online (paying by another form, obviously), and instantly received the pop-up pre-approval the other night while checking out. But, I was buying a few things for my son @ PacSun (also owned/financed via Comenity Bank) and did not receive this pop-up. Does anyone know if only existing account holders (have previously purchased from the online store so you have an existing "account") only receive these pre-approved pop-ups?

2. Any other online store/credit lenders have this shopping cart pre-approval pop up?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: "Shopping Cart Trick" Questions

I've tried with a couple of WFNNB cards @ checkout without any luck. I beleive I've read here that Express works. If you do a search under WFNNB, you can probably find threads with the cards that will work. Keep in mind though, that even w/o the ding of an inq, you'll still get the ding to your AAoA for a new acct.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 10
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

I am filing away all responses for future use Smiley Happy

I just wasn't sure if I had to shop with the store prior to getting the pre-approval pop up upon check out

Message 3 of 10
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

After spending a couple years trying to get this trick to work, I finally found out why each site preapproves differently. Each site pulls a specific CB report. I was approved for J Crew, but could not get Buckle to work (which is the card I wanted). Then, I saw a poster mention that Buckle pulls Equifax. I looked at my Equifax personal information, and noticed that they mostly only had my PO boxes on my report (which you cannot use for credit card applications). There was only one physical address on my Equifax, an address I haven't lived at for years. I put that address on my account with Buckle, exactly as it appears on Equifax, and now I always get the preapproval pop-up.

Now, if you have an old address on file, you may or may not be able to change it on your application. I had problems with Express, but it appears Buckle allowed me to change my address after accepting the offer.

So, if you have a copy of your reports, look at your addresses and make sure your profile on PacSun shows your address exactly as it is on your reports.

Message 4 of 10
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I never thought of that!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I may ask, what is the shopping cart trick? I'm on my phone right now so I can't really browse through all the threads to look for it

Message 6 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I may ask, what is the shopping cart trick? I'm on my phone right now so I can't really browse through all the threads to look for it

its basicly go to a website like victorias secret, or express  there is a list floating around here... 

and you add some stuff to the cart..

then if your pre approved they give you a credit card with no hard pull... (upon checkout) but you dont actually have to buy anything. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its basicly go to a website like victorias secret, or express  there is a list floating around here... 

then if your pre approved they give you a credit card with no hard pull... (upon checkout) but you dont actually have to buy anything. 

Don't forget that you need to fill out the personal information first, just your name and billing address.  If they have an approval for you it will pop up on the screen.  If you have to put ANYTHING other than the last 4 of your SS# then you will get a hard and not soft pull.

I have read many people trying this but actually going through a full application process, but the preapproval will require very limited information from you because they already have it. 

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have tried it on Express and Abercrombie & Fitch, so far no luv.  I recently opted back in so maybe that's why. 

Message 9 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget that you need to fill out the personal information first, just your name and billing address.  If they have an approval for you it will pop up on the screen.  If you have to put ANYTHING other than the last 4 of your SS# then you will get a hard and not soft pull.

I have read many people trying this but actually going through a full application process, but the preapproval will require very limited information from you because they already have it. 

correct, sorry i was on my phone... 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.