cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Temporary CLI" by overpayment on CC? Max CL is 500 but I need to make a $600 purchase.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Temporary CLI" by overpayment on CC? Max CL is 500 but I need to make a $600 purchase.

I'm going to make a puchase on expedia/travelocity but by highest limit cards are $500. I'm not sure if they'll let me split cards so I planned on overpaying by $100 and once the payment posts the charge would go through, correct?

The two cards are a Capital One Journey and a Household Bank platinum if that matters.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: "Temporary CLI" by overpayment on CC? Max CL is 500 but I need to make a $600 purchase

Not necessarily.  Some cards will do it whereas other cards will not.  You may want to call and check.  Someone may have experience with household, but I've accidentally overpaid my capital one, but did not notice a difference in my credit limit.  It may be different for the card that you have.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: "Temporary CLI" by overpayment on CC? Max CL is 500 but I need to make a $600 purchase

You'll have a negative balance, but it will not increase your CL. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@visorboy1974 wrote:

You'll have a negative balance, but it will not increase your CL. 

I'm aware that it won't actually raise my CL. I'm asking if that one charge would go through.

For example:

I have a credit limit of $500, and have no balance.

I send a $150 payment. My balance is now negative $150.

In therory I should have an available credit of $650.

I charge $600

If successful, my new balance is $450, with an available credit of $50.

@Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I'll call tomorrow and check for sure.

Message 4 of 12
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

Not only.will it not increase your CL, but overpay,nets are a huge red flag to most cc companies and you may find your account closed.in the past people have laundered money by doing that so banks are very weary about overpayments to cc. I would call your cc company and ask if u can get a one time increase in your CL to make the purchase. AMEX has done that for me in the past so it may be worth a try. But do not overpay by a substantial amount of your line without calling the cc company first.
Message 5 of 12
john398
Senior Contributor

Thats a tough one because on Expedia for flights you cant split between 2 cards either, is it with a specific airline? You may have use a debit card if you have that much available

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@flyingmd wrote:
Not only.will it not increase your CL, but overpay,nets are a huge red flag to most cc companies and you may find your account closed.in the past people have laundered money by doing that so banks are very weary about overpayments to cc. I would call your cc company and ask if u can get a one time increase in your CL to make the purchase. AMEX has done that for me in the past so it may be worth a try. But do not overpay by a substantial amount of your line without calling the cc company first.

IMO, aside from being a "red flag" you would also have to be opted-in for OVER THE LIMIT COVERAGE(for the charge/autho to even go through). I would think that the CCC is going to charge you an over the limit fee, even if you had a credit balance. They are giving you $500 CL..you want to go over that your going to pay. Again, this is IMO only. I have no experience with "temp CLI" as some other posters have talked about, but I do have plenty of experience dealing with Cap1 and HSBC...and trust me as long as you have already "opt-ed in" they will approve the $600, and  they will want their $39! Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@flyingmd wrote:

IMO, aside from being a "red flag" you would also have to be opted-in for OVER THE LIMIT COVERAGE(for the charge/autho to even go through). I would think that the CCC is going to charge you an over the limit fee, even if you had a credit balance. They are giving you $500 CL..you want to go over that your going to pay. Again, this is IMO only. I have no experience with "temp CLI" as some other posters have talked about, but I do have plenty of experience dealing with Cap1 and HSBC...and trust me as long as you have already "opt-ed in" they will approve the $600, and  they will want their $39! Good luck Smiley Happy

But in this case he would not go over the limit if he was -100.....when it posted it would show under the limit

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@john398 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@flyingmd wrote:

But in this case he would not go over the limit if he was -100.....when it posted it would show under the limit

True, by the time he received the statement he would not be over the limit. But the charge of $600 on a $500 CL is what triggers the fee. Although, you don't see this (fee) instantly..its applied once he has made the $600 charge.  Again, overpaying the account WILL NOT RAISE the CL.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sometime back we by mistake over paid Capital one by few dollars and instead of negative balance they mailed us the check back with the difference.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.