cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Garden" - Something just doesn't seem right...

tag
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

"The Garden" - Something just doesn't seem right...

Is it just me or does anyone else feel a little weird after searching the "Credit Card "forum to find the "The Garden" thread.  It's kind of hard to ignore the tempting Instant Approvals and Back Door success stories before finding it sometime.  I'd like to compare it to leading an alcoholic through a liquor store to get to the rehabilitation meeting in the back.

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "The Garden" - Something just doesn't seem right...

True, but then there's the thought of the garden.  The temptation to stay in it.  Some people are as obsessed with it as others are for apping. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 26
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

LOL I thought it funny too. Smh. I'm trying not to app until my UTIL is down. One more PRIME card before 2013 VISA something. LOL.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 26
alboto
Regular Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

LOL I thought it funny too. Smh. I'm trying not to app until my UTIL is down. One more PRIME card before 2013 VISA something. LOL.

funny, many of us are in the same situation, just one more lol

Message 4 of 26
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Although I have barely looked at the garden thread, I have a rather firm grasp of the concept Smiley LOL

However, what is not mentioned....  is that  "The Garden" is relative;  VERY much on a persons situation and goals.  That is the hard algorithm to calculate or even know about before you come to, or know about, MyFico and the forum.  Before you read and learn a LOT, you'll find the garden is hard, not only to find, but to navigate (as in how it's relative to you) in terms of how to use it, this kind of info is the map and the flashlight so to speak..

Have you ever noticed most people that garden are a bit older?  Factually in real life?  That somewhat applies here with their credit history as well.

I had a goal this year of an AMEX Blue (any, I just wanted one of their revolvers and for it to show on my reports the same as my Z, 1989), I hit that goal in May, amazingly after only 5 months of "gardening", which is very little.  But it was the only card I had my eyes on for 2012 and won't report (exactly...) as a new account.

Where it's relative in my case?  I have 18ish accounts on history, 5 of which are closed a few of which are AUs (both closed and open).  Perfect payment history. I may have high UTIL (esp due to 0%) but it's obvious I'm not "Seeking".   I learned the HARD way not to close old accounts, at least my old AMEX history somewhat saved me from that horrible and ignorant mistake (years ago, so several accounts that could still be reporting, are not, it's why I recommend people get an AMEX when young).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 26
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Lol maiden_girl

Maiden_girl: JUST ONE MORE, THEN I AM DONE. I PROMISE. I NEED IT!!!

xD
Message 6 of 26
TheConductor
Established Contributor

If someone can't move through the forum and stay disciplined to remain in the garden, here where no one forces you to read a thread, how can they ever hope to move through the real world where lurid billboards and sexy sales clerks are in your face enticing you with magical rewards cards that do everything?

I feel your pain, Tilted, but ultimately our discipline comes from within. The temptation for another app lurks on every website and in every store.  And we hack at that temptation with a machete and put in another bed of roses.  Smiley Happy

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 7 of 26
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

Garden Sticky...

The Garden is such a popular thread that it would be nice if someone considered giving it its own Sticky....

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 8 of 26
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Credit garden is akin to Garden of Gethsemane where you know your temptations are out there but you have to stay and wait.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I'm the individual who started this whole Garden Club thing, so please allow me to give you some idea of how and why it started.

Two years ago I had begun to rebuild my credit. I had a bunch of baddies that were going to be dropping off during a two year time span. I decided to add some fresh, unblemished accounts so that when the baddies did drop, I'd have a couple of years of positive reporting. So, I applied for and received a handful of rebuilder cards. I had searched to find out how long the new credit ding lasts and found that it depends upon several things -- inqs and number of new accounts in a short period of time, effect upon AAoA, etc. I also found out that simply sitting back and allowing new accounts to age allows the ding to heal, all while providing the opportunity for clean history to report. I had seen this refered to on a couple of miscellaneous threads as "gardening." So, I felt that the best thing that I could do for myself at that point in my rebuild was to simply sit back and garden my rebuilder cards until the baddies finished falling off. After that, I could apply for better cards to keep for the long term. That was my goal.

Well, you are correct about the excitment that occurs on these forums when someone is approved for a new card. I wanted to continue to participate and share my progress with this community, but in the context of waiting for accounts to age and perhaps receive soft CLIs. I started by posting a thread titled "Garden Club Meeting" as a lighthearted way of discussing progress with other forum members who were in a similar situation -- sitting back and waiting for accounts to age, for whatever reason. A good number of people joined in and the thread ran for several pages; and so, the Garden Club was born. Much to my surprise -- and delight! -- it has become an incredibly popular thread on this forum.

IME, the GC helps to fill a need on this type of a forum. Some people would like to stay active as forum participants and would like to continue to learn about credit card related matters, but don't want to app for a period of time. Such individuals can read and participate in all of the various threads, but feel like they have a place to come and participate in the specific endeavor of NOT applying for credit for a set period of time. So, I don't see the GC as being incompatible with a credit card forum, but rather as a helpful compliment to the threads typically provided.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.