"The day you got your 1st AMEX"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "The day you got your 1st AMEX"

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Platinum. I was like yay Smiley Happy

C'mon, you had more emotion than that!!!!

I did create a to do list on here with CS.

Message 11 of 77
NikJ4
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I'm sure the whole board knows or heard of my encounter with the biggest AMEX denial of 2012:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Decision/m-p/1155897#M322841

So when I gathered up the guts to go for it a 3rd time 2 days ago I don't think I ever had as many butterflies in my stomach in my life. I filled out the app, hit submit.............

it felt like an eternity................

I was actually sweating some, just knowing I was going to be denied for 3rd time.................

Then.........................

amexapproval.png

I sat there in shock, literally for about 5 minutes with my mouth partially open......................

I couldn't believe it.................

I needed more evidence I wasn't being punked by Ashton!!!

I go to the app. status page and...............

amexzync.PNG

OMG........................

(I'm sure i'm going to get laughed at on this one)

But everytime I get a big approval for a CC I take and ride in my truck and play Tom Petty's "Into the great wide open" while the sun is shining!! Makes it that much better!!

Goosebumps.

Yes, This AMEX approval was up there with some great moments in my life.

Thank you AMEX!!!!! Thank you!!!!

OH congrats! I thought you were going to wait but I defintely understand. I am happy happy for ya! Who did they pull?

Message 12 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember getting my first Amex, a Gold Card.  It was my first prime card of any kind.  I was excited that I was then able to put CapOne in the sockdrawer, where it stayed for almost 2 years before finding itself in the shredder.

Message 13 of 77
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@NikJ4 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

I'm sure the whole board knows or heard of my encounter with the biggest AMEX denial of 2012:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Decision/m-p/1155897#M322841

So when I gathered up the guts to go for it a 3rd time 2 days ago I don't think I ever had as many butterflies in my stomach in my life. I filled out the app, hit submit.............

it felt like an eternity................

I was actually sweating some, just knowing I was going to be denied for 3rd time.................

Then.........................

amexapproval.png

I sat there in shock, literally for about 5 minutes with my mouth partially open......................

I couldn't believe it.................

I needed more evidence I wasn't being punked by Ashton!!!

I go to the app. status page and...............

amexzync.PNG

OMG........................

(I'm sure i'm going to get laughed at on this one)

But everytime I get a big approval for a CC I take and ride in my truck and play Tom Petty's "Into the great wide open" while the sun is shining!! Makes it that much better!!

Goosebumps.

Yes, This AMEX approval was up there with some great moments in my life.

Thank you AMEX!!!!! Thank you!!!!

OH congrats! I thought you were going to wait but I defintely understand. I am happy happy for ya! Who did they pull?

I'm sorry NikJ, the itch was too much to hold off! They pulled EX. I'm hoping you stay the course and in January get your own!! I'm pulling for you!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 77
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I guess I am the oddball. It was just another day for me. Of course, I thought they were owned by Capital One (I know, blasphemy) and read a lot of bad stuff about Capital One so was not to happy about having the card anymore. Then I found out they were not so I was relieved. I am very happy with them though.

Message 15 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a noob when it comes to credit and these boards taught me a lot the past few months. When I applied for my first Amex I had no idea it was highly regarded. I just didn't want to deal with BofA anymore so I decided to go with a different company. Was approved for Blue Cash Everyday and (being ignorant at the time) didn't think much of it. Fast forward to today I am very grateful that they gave me a chance when I had a fairly thin file. I was even approved for a 2nd Amex recently!

Message 16 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got two pre approvals in the mail, so it wasn't a surprise...no real joy. I did think it was cool when I went out to the bars the weekend that I got it, and it glows bright white "AMEX" under a black light.
Message 17 of 77
aftermath
Established Contributor

My first Amex was the Delta Gold back in 2006.  Either I was drunk or I accidently slammed into my laptop during "sexy time" with the GF, because I don't remember applying for it. Smiley Frustrated

An envelope with the card in it showed up in the mail.  I thought maybe it was fraud, so when I called up to activate the card, the CSR asked me what the name of my favorite pet was for security purposes.  I have always put the name of my ex girlfriend from back in college whenever I'm asked this question because she was a "b*tch! Smiley LOL

No one but me would know the real answer to that question so I guess I really did apply for the card. Smiley Wink

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 18 of 77
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

My first Amex was a Delta Skymiles and honestly, I don't even remember where I app'd it.  I don't remember getting it, and pretty much took it for granted I guess.  I only used it to auto-pay my cell bill for 3 years, before they closed the account for whatever their reasoning was.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 19 of 77
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

My first Amex was a Delta Skymiles and honestly, I don't even remember where I app'd it.  I don't remember getting it, and pretty much took it for granted I guess.  I only used it to auto-pay my cell bill for 3 years, before they closed the account for whatever their reasoning was.

@Anonymous @ Delta and not remembering! (Read my post)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 20 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.