Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Three Cards" Comenity/Synchrony Edition

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

"Three Cards" Comenity/Synchrony Edition

Build your hypothetical lineup out of cards from the oft-vilified Comenity and Synchrony.

I’m not fussy about the exact number of cards. I'm not a moderator, but I would appreciate it if we could minimize the number of “Barclaycard is just as bad” or "I couldn't live without my Platinum" detours. I intend this just as a sort of puzzle and not really for any practical purpose.

I’m thinking...

-A Virgin America Premium Visa (still with Comenity, I believe) would be nice as my main card, at least until Elevate is replaced with Alaska's Mileage Plan. However, it’s closed to new apps. They do fly my usual routes, and without Amex or Citi cards (for Delta/AA points and perks), loyalty to Virgin America could make sense. Getting Elevate Silver status based on my segment count would be possible. Even Gold wouldn't be out of the question.

-A Sam’s Club MC (Synchrony) could be useful for bonus categories.

Not sure beyond that...maybe a Stash card for the first year.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
13 REPLIES 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "Three Cards" Comenity/Synchrony Edition

AKC - Vet for all our furry friends

Marvel - Decent APR if you get best tier along with honestly alot of useful categories

Not sure about the 3rd.. Possibly ebates

Message 2 of 14
thummel
Established Contributor

Virgin America-My personal favorite from Comenity anyway.
Marvel-Great for dinning out and entertainment.
Amazon Store Card-lets be real who doesn't shop on amazon?
Message 3 of 14
happypill
Valued Contributor

The Virgin America card is nice, but not sure what's going to happen to it now with the merger.  The Amazon card is very important for those of us who are on the Chase BL.  The AKC card is pretty good for people who have pets (my vet bill is higher than my personal medical bills most years).  I shopped at Sportsman's Guide prior to knowing about their card, and they have some really nice deals around the holidays (along with high limits and a consistant stream of CLI's).  I know some people like the Lowes card for the special financing.

They're not the most desirable cards in the world, but some of the are pretty useful.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I've got my Amazon Prime Store Card (Synchrony) and my Overstock Store Card (Comenity), so let's see...I'm not interested in a whole lot of cards from those two banks, and I have two of them, so there are really only three left that I'm interested in right now, though I can't decide which one to pick:

Marvel MC (Synchrony)

Paypal Credit (Comenity)

Walmart Store Card (Synchrony)

All of these have their attractions; Marvel has that bookstores category, Paypal Credit would come in mighty useful on eBay, and I do much of my general-store-type shopping at Walmart.

Message 5 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sams, to far in my build to get the MC,
Marvel , good mc regardless of APR,pif renders it mute!
Amazon, good limits and 5% is nice

Message 6 of 14
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Just throwing it out there, you all realize that the Virgin America Visa is no longer offered for new applications right?

Message 7 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Just throwing it out there, you all realize that the Virgin America Visa is no longer offered for new applications right?

Yes. I think the others that mentioned it have it, and I mentioned in my original post that it's closed to new apps.

I thought it was an interesting puzzle, and felt as asker I should give my own answer...though I did have to cheat a little. Smiley Wink

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 14
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Yes. I think the others that mentioned it have it, and I mentioned in my original post that it's closed to new apps.

I thought it was an interesting puzzle, and felt as asker I should give my own answer...though I did have to cheat a little. Smiley Wink

I am sorry I re read your OP and see you did mention that! I am SOOOO getting old, my eyes, my eyes!!!  LOL I had the card and got rid of it after I combined my points with my Alaska Air account....It was a nice card while it lasted but I do not mind giving up the annual fee and just worrying about the Alaska Visa!!

Message 9 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Marvel, Ebates and Paypal would be the most useful to me...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.