cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Too much available credit"?...Just didn't sound right...

tag
adavis425
Established Contributor

"Too much available credit"?...Just didn't sound right...

There's been some talk here lately concerning the "right" amount of available credit. "Too much available credit" just doesn't sound like a plausible reason for denial to me and here is an excerpt of an article about credit myths which seems to agree.

Having too much available credit on credit cards can hurt your score. Some people even think a lender “might deny your credit application if they think you have ‘too much’ credit available — high credit limits, many credit cards, or a combination — with the rationale being that if a consumer were to use all of that available credit, she may not be able to make the payments on the loan/card being applied for,” says Paperno. This was true before the era of credit scoring, but not today. “There is nothing in the scoring formulas that penalize a consumer for having too much available credit,” he says. If anything, it might prove your credit worthiness, as more available credit and lower balances tend to signify better behavior.

The entire article is here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-credit-myths-ditch-2013-110058467.html

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: "Too much available credit"?...Just didn't sound right...

This is what I try to explain to people! As a 23 year with avail credit in excess of my income, I still get clis and approvals. I limit util though obvi! Keep your stats in check, and you'll have no probs! Kudos for posting this!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
This is what I try to explain to people! As a 23 year with avail credit in excess of my income, I still get clis and approvals. I limit util though obvi! Keep your stats in check, and you'll have no probs! Kudos for posting this!:-)

You are the exception from what I have seen, you have done a great job and I don't think most people are near as educated or as peristant as yourself! kudos to you

Also I think the biggest reason for being declined for too much credit is not with applying for more credit cards but applying for a mortgage, working in real estate it is a pretty common occurance for someone buying a home to be asked to close credit cards with high climts as a criteria for approval if the house is approaching the higer end of price vs income.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 22
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

While there may not be a scoring model based upon too much credit, nothing can keep the lenders from denying if they feel you have too much credit already...

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 4 of 22
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

You are the exception from what I have seen, you have done a great job and I don't think most people are near as educated or as peristant as yourself! kudos to you

Also I think the biggest reason for being declined for too much credit is not with applying for more credit cards but applying for a mortgage, working in real estate it is a pretty common occurance for someone buying a home to be asked to close credit cards with high climts as a criteria for approval if the house is approaching the higer end of price vs income.

True Dat, at least with a goodly number of Mortgage underwriters.  I've had Mortgage companies ask me to close accounts after getting a zero balance on all cards, but I've also had Mortgage companies (and my own credit union) say, keep the accounts open, just keep your utility low and zero out your balances...something that's talked about on here all the time ! 

Message 5 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

There are many lenders who will tell yu that you have enough credit available for your income. As income goes up and credit goes up, available credit is not as big a deal. Someone with a short history and only 20000 income will hear that sooner than someone with twenty years of history and 200000 income.

I have more credit than claimed income and have not run into any problems, yet.Hopefully I do not, but it is always possible.

Message 6 of 22
toppers555
Established Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

While there may not be a scoring model based upon too much credit, nothing can keep the lenders from denying if they feel you have too much credit already...

+1  

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 7 of 22
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Total credit is more than income and i keep getting cli
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

also there was another poster on here today saying she was declined for a chase freedom with a 750 score becasue of her other obligations, sort of falls in with this scenario

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 22
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

There's been some talk here lately concerning the "right" amount of available credit. "Too much available credit" just doesn't sound like a plausible reason for denial to me and here is an excerpt of an article about credit myths which seems to agree.

Having too much available credit on credit cards can hurt your score. Some people even think a lender “might deny your credit application if they think you have ‘too much’ credit available — high credit limits, many credit cards, or a combination — with the rationale being that if a consumer were to use all of that available credit, she may not be able to make the payments on the loan/card being applied for,” says Paperno. This was true before the era of credit scoring, but not today. “There is nothing in the scoring formulas that penalize a consumer for having too much available credit,” he says. If anything, it might prove your credit worthiness, as more available credit and lower balances tend to signify better behavior.

The entire article is here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-credit-myths-ditch-2013-110058467.html

Also, by the same Paperno with a slight nuance: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/closing-credit-card-dings-credit-score-1.aspx

It's just not true that you can have too much available credit. That by itself is never a negative with the score. Sometimes the things you do to get too much can be a problem, such as opening a bunch of new accounts, but for the most part, that's just kind of an old wives' tale.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.