cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Transactor vs. Revolver" new credit reporting for credit cards??

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

"Transactor vs. Revolver" new credit reporting for credit cards??

Suze Orman says tonight that they are now going to put people in 2 categories on credit reports to show rather they are

1. "Transactor" - may not show it at time of credit pull but they pay in full each month

2. "Revolver"  - you are carrying your balances month to month - maybe 0% maybe not.

I have not seen anything else about this... it could be very good for those that are always playing this multiple payment game just to show under 9% util. etc.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: "Transactor vs. Revolver" new credit reporting for credit cards??

As soon as I read the subject, I knew someone else had to be watching the Suze Orman Show tonight.Smiley Very Happy

Her position is that revolvers appear far more risky to lenders than transactors, and continuous revolving (especially constant BTs) is not good for optimal FICO score.

Message 2 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

As soon as I read the subject, I knew someone else had to be watching the Suze Orman Show tonight.Smiley Very Happy

Her position is that revolvers appear far more risky to lenders than transactors, and continuous revolving (especially constant BTs) is not good for optimal FICO score.

yes but she seems to be saying that they are actually going to clasify you so a bank sees that when they pull your credit rather you are reporting a maxed out card or not if you are a person who pays in full... but I have not seen any other news about this.

Message 3 of 20
amakol
Regular Contributor

Would be interesting. I know from pulling TU reports that the amount of data on there has skyrocketed since 4 years ago and it's all retroactive.

Everyone's becoming more aware, about everything it seems, nowadays.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 4 of 20
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

yes but she seems to be saying that they are actually going to clasify you so a bank sees that when they pull your credit rather you are reporting a maxed out card or not if you are a person who pays in full... but I have not seen any other news about this.

I had a slightly different take, but to be honest, I missed the very beginning of the show.

In theory you could have a card with a $10k CL and a $1K balance, but if you keep transfering that balance to a new card, you aren't really reducing your debt. 

Message 5 of 20
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Heh. Interesting comparison.

I'm not a bit bashful in the way that i manage credit. I have particular cards that i always PIF. Then i also set aside chosen cards that by design i roll balances on. On the rollers i make a routine practice to revolve at 90 day intervals and deliberately pay interest for this 3 months to raise attention to those particular lenders. And draw some brownie points? Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I watched it too! I love Suze!!

I did some research. What she is talking about is how they report the payment amount versus the actual balance.

Transunion started reporting payment amounts in mid 2013. Nothing is changing that we don't already know about.

I know Amex specifically will not report the payment amounts, or at least that is what I have seen on my credit reports..Exp and EQ do it sometimes from what I've seen on my personal reports.

so again, she is just talking about how the CRAs report the actual payment amounts. Nothing is changing. FICO isn't changing it's scoring system, and it isn't even required that creditors provide the actual payment amounts. I'm a little curious as to why Suze even mentioned this as it isn't really that noteworthy for us. Alas though, we are a different group of folks.

I LOVE SUZE BTW! Dave Ramsey is a LOSER. LOL

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

So creditors can see if we PIF even if it's not by the statement cut-off?  Some of mine always look like I'm carrying a balance even though I PIF each month. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That's EXACTLY correct clocktick. That's almost exactly what Suze said word for word!

I know TU reports payments made compared to balance paid.  Again, it's up to the creditor, and I noticed Amex doesn't report the actual payments.

if you do pay before statement cuts, that high balance and payment will report too.

For example,

I had a statement balance of $130 on Walmart Discover, and I made 550 in new charges. I paid the statement bal plus the new charges before the next statement cut to make it report a $0 bal, so my total payment reported was like $680, and it reported at zero.

Honestly, most  Credit Analysts prob don't even know to look for this. Again, it is not required by any law or regulation, so the effect is dismal. If you are carrying balances, it's still obvious that you're carrying balances. I carry balances on some cards and pif most others.

Your FICO, however, will still be affected even if you are pif but a balance reports. I hope all of that makes sense.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Yep, makes perfect sense.  I wish I watched Suze last night, I really like her show!  I pulled my TU last week for the first time in a long time and noticed all of the differences and added details.  Still seems like they weren't "caught up" but there were definitely more details.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.