cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"You've Been Selected to Apply!" (AmEx Green card)

tag
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

"You've Been Selected to Apply!" (AmEx Green card)

Just got one of these in the mail (I've been getting a few lower-tier cc offers in the mail lately, after not seeing ANY for several years, no doubt as a result of my scores improving . . . feels good even though most of them are cr*ppy deals, high APRs and fees, etc.) Smiley Happy

And I'm NOT going to apply for this one just yet, as I can't afford any hard pulls right now since my wife and I are getting ready to go for a mortgage re-fi in the next 30 days once my last two collections are settled and update on my bureau reports.  But at some point AFTER that, I do need to start getting some higher CLs to take the next step in improving my scores.  I've gone from mid-500s to now mid-600s, and anticipate being around 670-675 once these last two things update and my credit utilization gets < 10%.

Does anyone know which bureau AmEx uses, and what kind of minimum scores one typically needs to have in order to be approved?  My income is very high, and all of my other criteria (length of time in job/field, avg. age of accounts and OLDEST aged account, debt-to-income ratio, types of credit, total # of credit lines, etc.) are all in great shape.  If 670ish is too low, I'd rather avoid the HP/rejection, and wait until some of my accounts age and then apply later when I'm more certain to be approved.

thanks,

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Re: "You've Been Selected to Apply!" (AmEx Green card)

AMEX usually pulls EXP but if you're borderline approval they might pull all the three CRs and i think you can get approved for their charge cards in the mid 600s
Message 2 of 12
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

I got approved with scores in that 660-670 range, but they pulled all three, and double pulled experian.

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 3 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I was approved for PRG with 656 - EX only pull.  I would personally go for the PRG due to the superior sign up bonus and downgrade once you hit a year to avoid AF.  Amex charge cards have same underwriting criteria.

Message 4 of 12
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I was approved for PRG with 656 - EX only pull.  I would personally go for the PRG due to the superior sign up bonus and downgrade once you hit a year to avoid AF.  Amex charge cards have same underwriting criteria.

Do you mind sharing your income when approved for PRG? I'm considering applying at the beginning of the new year for maximum backdating and downgrade before AF hits.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 5 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're looking at the PRG, check out the card match tool at creditcards.com.  They have the 50,000 MR point bonus offer back for some people.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Pigeyex wrote:

Just got one of these in the mail (I've been getting a few lower-tier cc offers in the mail lately, after not seeing ANY for several years, no doubt as a result of my scores improving . . . feels good even though most of them are cr*ppy deals, high APRs and fees, etc.) Smiley Happy

And I'm NOT going to apply for this one just yet, as I can't afford any hard pulls right now since my wife and I are getting ready to go for a mortgage re-fi in the next 30 days once my last two collections are settled and update on my bureau reports.  But at some point AFTER that, I do need to start getting some higher CLs to take the next step in improving my scores.  I've gone from mid-500s to now mid-600s, and anticipate being around 670-675 once these last two things update and my credit utilization gets < 10%.

Does anyone know which bureau AmEx uses, and what kind of minimum scores one typically needs to have in order to be approved?  My income is very high, and all of my other criteria (length of time in job/field, avg. age of accounts and OLDEST aged account, debt-to-income ratio, types of credit, total # of credit lines, etc.) are all in great shape.  If 670ish is too low, I'd rather avoid the HP/rejection, and wait until some of my accounts age and then apply later when I'm more certain to be approved.

thanks,

Pigeye

AFAIK, their pre-approvals are very accurate.  You should be able to confidentally go for one of their charge cards based on their offer.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Do you mind sharing your income when approved for PRG? I'm considering applying at the beginning of the new year for maximum backdating and downgrade before AF hits.

At the time $68k.  I had no pre-qualified offers and I remember it sat "in-progeress" for a few days.  Do you already have a card from Amex?

Message 8 of 12
avidlinuxuser
Established Member

I started getting these around 2-3 months ago. This past month I decided to go for broke and applied for Amex Blue Sky Rewards instead. I got approved too. I'd hold off another month or two then apply for Amex Blue if I was you.

They pulled Exp and my credit score was 660.

Message 9 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

if this is your first AMEX card, apply this year, locking in 2013 as your membership date,  if you wait till January your membership date will be 2014... if approved in 2013, wait till january or feb, and AP for a second card, only a SP if denied, and your second card will be 11 months older than your first.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.