HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

Re: "chances of approval"

That's why I eat bananas, to avoid the cramps. Smiley Happy
Message 31 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

I think were moving off track just a bit.

this is just IMO

The vast majority of members new and old found this site due to some type of credit issue. I don't think 95% of members started with a clean CR.

That being said we all read, ask questions, research, plan and learn from the credit mistakes we made before as a result of either just carelessness or economic down falls.

I have learned so much from this site and took the info, absorbed it, asked questions and then applied it with a plan to succeed. 

And by no means is this race a SPRINT but a MARATHON you can not achieve instant results it just doesn't work that way!

The original purpose of this thread I believe was to educate some on the mistakes being made and here's what I see a lot and I'm going to be honest and if this hits a nerve because it's you SORRY it is not meant to be hurtful just educational

(1) if you start a thread seeking info and 90% of posters to your thread said don't apply because card was not within reach of your profile because of, to many INQ's, short history, baddies just to name a few then .... Guess what take that info respect the knowledge you just asked for and DON't APPLY.

I see people say I can't get approved they said I have to many INQ's ...I wonder why? 

(2) I see a lot of this and it does new people seeking help no good in fact more harm example OP seeks freedom and chase cards why in the world would you suggest they apply for an Amex product DUH REALLY ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Lead them down the right road its not your CR and you don't have to live with the INQ for 2 years and if all you can say is GO FOR IT, APPLY, YOU WILL BE APPROVED and then when I visit the other forum on this site and I do......I notice you are seeking advice for 5 collection 3  CO's  I read the threads of your constant denials why on earth and how can you morally tell people to apply when you can't get approved ...........PLEASE 

It's not true.

Give constructive advice and let them make a good decision based on their lifestyle / credit report

(3) After you have gotten the cards you want GARDEN that does not mean you have to join the garden thread but no one can keep applying for cards and not allow INQ'S to age, AAoA to increase and show payment history on your CR.

Don't say I'm gardening and 1 month later you applying for another card your killing yourself. You can only do this so many times before you get denials or toy limits

Example I just completed a spree on my 4th app they gave me $1000 I knew right then it was time to stop (small limit) Not app another lender to see if I get a higher limit. STOP..... time to garden for minimum 6 months .....no app's ......shut it down....etc etc  

(4) Ask as many question ask you like I personally wish to help any and all from the knowledge I have obtained from this site and I am still obtaining 

And for those who have helped with good sound, educated advice I say THANK YOU I will never forget it and will definitely pass it forward the way you taught me to do Smiley Wink

I mean no harm to anyone just a conversation of what i see and what may help the next person ....just my view

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 32 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HYPASS33 wrote:
That's why I eat bananas, to avoid the cramps. Smiley Happy

Ha ha ha 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 33 of 60
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

I donno if this pertains to the topic...but for me personally, it is almost an invisible force that wants to re-establish credit so bad, along with reading the boards and seeing how people are getting approved for cards with scores only slightly better than my own...that makes me want to almost binge on apps. Now I know now that this is not a way to fix credit...I wish I knew that 1-3 years ago. But good credit can mean great freedom if used responsibly. I am trying to just stick with secure cards for the time being Smiley Happy

Justin

Starting TU: 536
Starting EQ: 573
Goal: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 60
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@JustinA

Knowing that binge app'ng does not fix your credit is a positive step in the right direction. The word rebuilding to me means laying a strong foundation, shoring up your profile with a good mix of cc's ( doesn't have to be a lot 2-3 is fine) and letting your cr history age.
Message 35 of 60
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@JustinA wrote:

I donno if this pertains to the topic...but for me personally, it is almost an invisible force that wants to re-establish credit so bad, along with reading the boards and seeing how people are getting approved for cards with scores only slightly better than my own...that makes me want to almost binge on apps. Now I know now that this is not a way to fix credit...I wish I knew that 1-3 years ago. But good credit can mean great freedom if used responsibly. I am trying to just stick with secure cards for the time being Smiley Happy

Justin

Years ago, I actually didn't pay any attention to utilization, credit scores etc.  While I never had any "baddies" on my reports, I would guess that my scores and reports never made it past the "average" mark.   I'd bet that behind 90%+ of the best of the best scores you see here, there are some mistakes or hard times that lead up to it.  There was also a lot of hard work and patience that got them to where they are.  Scores aren't everything, and are certainly not going to gaurantee an approval if you've had a bk, a bunch of lates, or whatever.

Message 36 of 60
toppers555
Established Contributor

@JustinA wrote:

Justin

Just keep the faith and stick with it . If you keep at it your time will come Smiley Tongue. This board is like a doubleedge sword. the appovals give you the itch ,and yet you also get good advice. I pretty much have everycard I want at this point in my credit journey. My scores have risen to 740+ range , and only thing that I have to work on is inquires, which I plan to do in Aug. after I get my discover cli and  cash+.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 37 of 60
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

I would love to kick my younger self square in the baby maker...I remember how easy it was to get credit cards when turning 20 fresh into the military...next thing I knew I had 11 of the damn things. Then crap snowballed and I was about 24k behind...smh. But it was a serious lesson learned and I know I am making positive steps and actually very possibly within a year of being able to use my VA for my second home. The thing that is killing me I think are the numerous chargeoffs and being overseas right now its not practical to send GW letters. So I am just researching and probably going to open another secure line and wait it out. That will give me 2 secure cards with 5k CL on each. Heres hoping!!
Justin

Message 38 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@JustinA wrote:

I would love to kick my younger self square in the baby maker...I remember how easy it was to get credit cards when turning 20 fresh into the military...next thing I knew I had 11 of the damn things. Then crap snowballed and I was about 24k behind...smh. But it was a serious lesson learned and I know I am making positive steps and actually very possibly within a year of being able to use my VA for my second home. The thing that is killing me I think are the numerous chargeoffs and being overseas right now its not practical to send GW letters. So I am just researching and probably going to open another secure line and wait it out. That will give me 2 secure cards with 5k CL on each. Heres hoping!!
Justin

Sounds like a well thought out plan to me and a very good one as well

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 39 of 60
JustinA
Frequent Contributor

I am attached to this site and learning more in the past 3 days than I have in 27 years. I hope its a good idea and thank you Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.