Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random thoughts

tag
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

random thoughts

Sorry this post is kind of a random thought. I am trying to decide what to do with my current state of cards.

Here is currently what I have:

Amex Platinum (NPSL) 30k points

Amex Business Gold (NPSL) 275k points - Authorized User .. does not show up on credit report

Saphhire 95k points - Authorized User .. does not show on credit report

CSP (19k) 56k points

Freedom (10k)

Discover IT (5.5k)

Citi Diamond Preferred (3k)

Credit history age is 14 years with my AAoA is 8 years. The only card I was going to add is another Amex so they can backdate to 99 to help keep my AAoA.

What sucks is those points that I am an authorized user on I cannot transfer to my accounts even though it is my family's card.

I am trying to figure out what to do. Since I started reading this site I got caught up with applying for things. 4 hard pulls on EX from this year - 1 hard pull on EQ from this year

scores are in sig. I am not the type of person who carries a lot of cards or even wants a lot of cards and I have been doing some thinking lately. I wanted a Mastercard so I applied for citi but now I am thinking that I should just cancel the citi card since it was stupid to apply for it and wait for the freedom to hit a year old and just pc it to a world mastercard. Discover I will keep .. doubt I will use it but hopefully I can get a cli down the road that raises the cl to over 10k. Even applying for freedom was after reading forums about how it is the perfect companion card to CSP. I really would only like to carry my amex and csp since my card holder can only hard 3 cards.

How do you guys and girls who have a bunch of cards carry them around? or constantly switch them out? I guess I did things without thinking.

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SCoach
Established Member

Re: random thoughts

I generally carry 2 cards.  Amex Plat. and CSP.  I will carry the Freedom if I plan on spending in the 5X category.  I see no need to carry any other cards.  As for the points, when you are ready to use points from the authorized user, just tranfer them into your account of choice (airline, hotel, etc.)  it might be possible to transfer them another way, but I am unsure as I have never dealt with AU on anything.

Best of luck.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx Gold | AmEx Bluebird | CSP | Chase Freedom
Message 2 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I carry all of them even though half are in the virtual sd. I mainly use whichever card can offer the best reward at the time. Also, I do a mental check of statement dates if I'm faced with 2 cc's
Message 3 of 9
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Yea I think I am just going to carry my amex plat and csp. The last quarter for freedom is spending on amazon which I spend a lot with so I will use freedom for that.

I think I will just permantly sd citi and discover. And I will add an Amex SPG for backdating and the flexibilty of the points program to 30+ different airlines etc

Message 4 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

All I carry now is PRG. Will utilize Freedom and IT cards for 5% categories.

I would say to the OP you have a very nice set of cards an your AAoA is already looking good so you may want to consider rolling with what you have instead burning another INQ. Let your INQ's age off.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Are you sure you can't transfer the sapphire points? I know chase allows transfer of ur points between spouses, as I have done so. If you and the original cardholder are family, it should be allowed. I would call your csp customer service and ask.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
Are you sure you can't transfer the sapphire points? I know chase allows transfer of ur points between spouses, as I have done so. If you and the original cardholder are family, it should be allowed. I would call your csp customer service and ask.

I believe the OP was referring to the 275K points on the Business Gold AMEX (where he's the AU) to his personal Platinum AMEX.

Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Otherwise, and to your point on the CSP, I was under the impression that they could only transfer the UR points between spouses and not other family members (unless that policy changed).

OP... were the (AU) points in question on the AMEX or the CSP?

Message 8 of 9
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

There is a frequent flyer blog post about transferring points and for amex MR points .. the only way to do it is to transfer it to an airline program in the persons name .. no other way to do it. As far as the saphhire points .. I have spoken to chase mutiple times and they can only transfer points between spouses .. not family which is stupid.

Applying for amex is a soft pull if you are denied but hard if you get it. SPG is the last card im going for and then I am done. Will help with AAoA. Also the one baddie I had from 3 years ago finally got removed. So my only thing which is hurting my credit score is 21% ultization which should be gone in two months

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.