Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-age amex

tag
torndollar
Valued Member

re-age amex

Hi everyone!

I was an authorized user on my ex's American Express card while we were together. It is still on my report even though we haven't been together for over 15 years! It has 33 years of age on it. My question is this: I recently got an USAA American Express card. Can I get them to report this as 33 years old (as I heard Amex ages back to the first account you had with them) or will they not do it because I was only an AU? If they will do it, how do I go about doing it? Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Achase
Regular Contributor

Re: re-age amex

You can not do this with the USAA American Express card because that card is a cobranded american express issued by USAA Savings bank...meaning that its not actuall isssued by American Express therefore american Express does not own the rights to your account and cannot backdate your member since date.

If it was issued by american express directly then yes you would be able to do it.

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
torndollar
Valued Member

Thanks AChase! That answers my question perfectly!

Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

Also, just to avoid confusion, this isn't called "re-aging." Re-aging is something that happens when your baddies acquire new dates, making them look new. What you were hoping to do is called "back-dating." (Just posting this, because it doesn't take long for a thread to start getting really confused.)

And as Achase explained, it only works on cards that actually came from/ come from American Express.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
torndollar
Valued Member

Thanks for the explanation of the terms HTSU!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Go get your self an Amex and re-claim that history!

Message 6 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

While we are being technical here, the card is not Co-branded.  The issuer is not counted in the brand.     Your card is issued by USAA and uses the AMEX network(brand).   

Travelocity (brand)   Amex (brand) issued by BarClays (issuer)  is an example of a Co-branded card.

Costco (brand)  Amex (brand) issued by American Express (issuer) is another example of Co-branded card.

Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good clarification! Good examples, too.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 11
joestay
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

While we are being technical here, the card is not Co-branded.  The issuer is not counted in the brand.     Your card is issued by USAA and uses the AMEX network(brand).   

Travelocity (brand)   Amex (brand) issued by BarClays (issuer)  is an example of a Co-branded card.

Costco (brand)  Amex (brand) issued by American Express (issuer) is another example of Co-branded card.

Does this mean costco trueearning can be use to backdate in the future if I apply for a blue card?

Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@joestay wrote:

Does this mean costco trueearning can be use to backdate in the future if I apply for a blue card?

Yes. The Costco TrueEarnings card is issued by American Express. Therefore any other card from American Express (not just one with the logo), including a Blue, will pick up the original year of opening.

Same for Zync, Green, Gold, Plat, Starwood, Delta Gold, Clear, etc etc.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.